Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Dr. H & Jiva Ju at Bayshore

Phred

Can't have said better than Kitari:

quote:

Originally posted by Kitari:

If you're looking for a slightly different kind of gig on Saturday night, you should head West!

This Saturday, June 21 is the Bayshore Fun Days in Bayshore Park. Think of a country fair where admission is free and the adventures are many! Not only do you get to see some great demos and unknown local acts, but you'll also get a dose of
DR. HUXTABLE and JIVA JU
!!!
! That's right, starting at 7:00, these two great bands will be playing the open air to anyone who wants a listen!

It's free, it's easy to get to, and there'll be some great food to nosh on while you watch! Sit under the stars and watch some on stage!

You can call me, Lucy at 782-2279 if you want more information.

Please keep in mind that this is a family style event so your kiddies are welcome but the booze isn't!

Hope to see y'all there.

Aloha,

Brad

I had a great time at this show. It was the largest stage I have ever played on since highschool.

Here is how things went down from my point of view.

I got to the park around 6:00pm, about half an hour later than I wanted to. The rest of dr. hux was already there unloading and starting to set up. The park is fairly big and there were a lot of people milling about. The stage was at the far end of the park and was a great sized stage.

Not five minutes after I arrived, we already had a problem. The sound guy had no clue how to mic drums. (I found out later that the sound guy didn't know much about doing sound for a band - the guy who I thought was the sound guy ended up leaving and a 12 year old kid was left behind the board to d sound) Dr. Chris ended up taking over most of the sound duties with some of us telling him when things sounded good out front.

Jiva started playing at maybe 7:15. They sounded great. IMHO it is the best I have heard them sound. They are a band meant for this type of outdoor venu. The weather during their set was stellar. Maybe a little hot for the boys on stage, but great for us in attendance.

About halfway through the set, I got up and played LA woman with them. I love doing that tune with them. I love the way they play it.

Then I played Frisbee with Geoff and Peter from Dr. Huxtable while Jiva Ju provided the soundtrack. That was really fun.

Jiva Ju finished their set with Franklin's Tower and I, Geoff, and Sharon joined them on stage.

Then it was time for us to play. I can't really tell you how it sounded, but I am sure I have never had that much fun on stage before. I felt completely uninhibited. I don't think I have ever moved that much either. Sharon too looked like she was having the time of her life. It is so fun to do a show like that.

The only problem we had worth mentioning is with the lights - we couldn't get them to work. Eventually when it got really dark, Kitari pulled a van up and the headlights were used as our stage lighting.

Pootie Tang from Jiva Ju joined us for our last few tunes, and then it was time to pack up and go home.

Thanks to those of you who came, and extra thanks to Lucy for letting us play.

Phred

Actually, the lights did work: every once in a while, each bank of four would cycle through, with each light coming on for a second. It happened again and again, and the hilarity of it more than made up for the lack of illumination (though I feel sorry for Pootie Tang, who I think was trying to read the lyrics to "The Weight" in the duskness).

I want to start marketing vials of PhredSweat; Saturday was a missed opportunity, though, because the production line could have gone into high gear, Phred was givin'er so much. I'm a PhredHead, but I've never seen him go off like that; and it went beyond Phred Having Fun; he gave off some seriously twisted/tortured infectious indications of intensity during his playing.

All in all, it was a pretty good show. The sound needed work (even after in-show tweaks, it was still a little uneven, but listenable; I've heard worse), but the music made up for it. JJ put on a solid set, and Dr. H was up to their usual standard.

My one wish was that the stage was actually a flatbed truck, so that just before 10:00pm, it could be driven away, playing all the way, to another destination to continue the party...

Aloha,

Brad

All I can say is wow!

Dr. Hux and Jiva Ju jamming on my rickety stage is definitely the highlight of, not only the night, but my whole Fun Day career! For three hours I actually sat and enjoyed the music ...unheard of in past years. I have to apologise for our lack of professional (or even semi-knowledgeable) stage staff. Everyone there was a volunteer and our collective stage knowedge was next to zero (as was demonstrated with our lighting fiasco)!

But considering the hoops we made you guys jump through - you came out flawlessly! It sounded great to my amateur ears and I was tickled pink by how many new-comers to the scene were tapping and swaying to the music. There was a group of muslim women who were quite intrigued by Phred's animated performance. He was a real hit - they kept pointing him out to other women as they joined the crowd!

I don't know if you guys know just how relieved I was to have you there! All day we were subjected to Eminem and Tupac and a variety of other "artists" that the kids like. To have some amazing jammy music played live by some of my favourite skanks kept me sane! I can't thank you enough for coming out and giving it your all.

I wanted to say a special thanks to Dr. Huxtable for playing Dear Prudence and especially for the incredibly kind words you gave me when introducing the song. By that point I'd been working for about 12 hours straight and your sweetness gave me that ounce more energy to carry on! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

And to those of you from here that came out - BradM: I saw you but never did get a chance to chat - thanks for supporting the community and I hope you had a great time.

Next year, I'll definitely be opening up the roster a bit and plugging some more JamBands in!

Thanks again everyone! You guys are the best!

quote:

Originally posted by Kitari:

There was a group of muslim women who were quite intrigued by Phred's animated performance. He was a real hit - they kept pointing him out to other women as they joined the crowd!

As I said: start marketing PhredSweat, and we might just able to cash in on his appeal.

quote:

I wanted to say a special thanks to Dr. Huxtable for playing Dear Prudence and especially for the incredibly kind words you gave me when introducing the song. By that point I'd been working for about 12 hours straight and your sweetness gave me that ounce more energy to carry on! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I seriously expected "Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds" at that point, but "Dear Prudence" was nice, too.

quote:

And to those of you from here that came out - BradM: I saw you but never did get a chance to chat - thanks for supporting the community and I hope you had a great time.

I saw you, too, but figured you were up to your fetlocks in administration; you looked to be quite (and effecitvely) in charge, and nice job with the van's lights! It was just like being in an old M*A*S*H episode. [smile]

quote:

Thanks again everyone! You guys are the best!

A best of which you are definitely a part. Remember this experience, and add it to your resume!

Aloha,

Brad

stupid lights.

They were cycling when they received power. I believe that they were running through some sort of check, and then you have to work them.

There was a little box that looked like it was the controller that needed a special cable that looked like a mic cable. We couldn't find them in the dark.

Ms.Hux was providing her own light show on stage, with the little "raver" lights on her wrist and twirling.

Great job on the organization Kitari. It was quite obvious that everyone had an excellent time there.

Hell, I picked up a plate with a tastey salad, a spicy samosa and some noodely dish for .... $1.50 - deal of the century! Rick showed up to the picnic table with some spicey Jerk Chicken.

Shakedown St. had quite a few people getting moving. I didn't here "Got to Get you into my Life" for some reason. Did I miss it when I went to the washroom or somethin'?

.....that's what you get for pissing during the "Geoffy" tunes Mike... [Wink]

Thanks Kitari, it was great! No worries about the sound-kids, Chris came through as usual, and not having to clear out all that PA was reward enough!

I don't know what you guys are talking about... You must have left during the 10:00pm set break. We played:

Terrapin -> Gotta Get you into my life->Terrapin -> Freebird.

From about 10:20 until the wee hours of the morning. [Wink]

".....that's what you get for pissing during the "Geoffy" tunes Mike... "

GOOD LORD!

That is ironically hypocritical..................

Or was it hypocritically ironic?

Ten bucks says Hux missed the Festival tease during El Paso at SPAC, so dont worry about it Mikey.

None the less, you slay me Hux. Lets watch some View From the vault 4 tonight!

quote:

Originally posted by Phred:

I don't know what you guys are talking about... You must have left during the 10:00pm set break. We played:

Terrapin -> Gotta Get you into my life->Terrapin -> Freebird.

From about 10:20 until the wee hours of the morning.
[Wink]

Well, at least I didn't miss "Whipping Post"...

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. Huxtable:

hehe.....the problem was, we didn't get the final bar of Terrapin Flyer perfected, so we nixed it.....next show....I promise bradm....
[Wink]

Talk is cheap, Huxie-Boy. You hinted at a Dr. H Terrapin once before (I remember it vividly; I have turtle recall [Razz] ), and I was disappointed. Now that you said you'd play it and didn't, I'm bitter and jaded; IIRC, the next Huxtagig is in &(*)()(^$%%$% August. Can I wait that long? Or will I have to shell out more bucks to ease my tortoise existence?

Ah, well, at least I have "Dozin' At The Knick"...

Aloha,

Brad

Yes, a very good time had by all at the festival. It was a beautiful day for it, and it was a great outdoor venue to play. Open air and big stages seriously kick ass, the music carries well and no one has any trouble hearing each other. Phred, thanks again for coming up to jam, you're playing and intensity is always welcomed. Dr. Hux, again well done, I'm digging you're sound more every time I hear you guys jam. To the rest of the gang, thanks again for coming out to support the events.

Hope to see you all for Jam Back at the House at 40 Main St. on July 5th.

Archived