Jambands.ca

mr harper's GST rollback

timouse

Articles like this show me how strongly people put bologna into their decision on who to vote for. Here's a quote from someone who probably poos generalizations out of his mouth...

"But it's Martin's Liberal arrogance when he says that only he knows what Canadian values are, that Harper's scary and would destroy Canadian values. Well, sir, one hell of a lot of Canadians believe in Stephen Harper and his values, so what's Martin telling us -- we're all to be feared? I don't need Paul Martin dictating to me. And how old is he (67), isn't he getting the old age pension? How many of the filthy rich like him are getting the pension?"

Here's a taste of one of the forwarded emails that certain relatives shoot our way - same frantic bid for coherent logic.

I am not voting for Paul Martin's Liberals. I am voting against Paul Martin and his Liberal Party in January.

I am voting for Stephen Harper and the Conservative Party.

Do I like the Conservatives? Not particularly......I don't really like Politics. I am not political by nature. I am not passionate about politics. I am a middle age guy (48). I live in a small house on a fairly quiet street in Edmonton. I have a wife, Kathy, and two children (ages 19 and 17). I have no pets. I am a middle class man. I don't usually say too much.

Until now.

Now I am going to say something!

In 35 of the past 37 years, Canada has been ruled by:

(1) Pierre Trudeau - a multi-millionaire lawyer from Quebec.

(2) Brian Mulroney - a multi-millionaire lawyer from Quebec.

(3) Jean Chretien - a multi-millionaire lawyer from Quebec.

(4) And now we are going to vote for Paul Martin???? - a multi-millionaire lawyer from Quebec???

The leader of the Conservative party, Stephen Harper, is:

(1) Not a lawyer.

(2) Not a multi-millionaire.

(3) Not from Quebec.

Stephen Harper says that the Conservative party will:

(1) Reduce my taxes.

(2) Pay off the national debt as fast as they can.

(3) Shrink the size and influence of the federal government.

That's good enough for me. I'm going to give the Conservative party a chance with my vote.

There's a lot more of that sort of thing in this one, but I find that much dizzying enough.

Here's a quote from someone who probably poos generalizations out of his mouth...

Heh! :laugh: :laugh:

I love this little bit of dated fluff from that article too:

Good God, all the money will go on social programs and a ton more they'll invent that we don't need. They're bleeding-heart, pinko dreamers, the NDP. They'll bankrupt the country.

This is absolutely brilliant. For the second election in a row, the Conservative Party's proposed spending **exceeds** the NDP's. The CPC platform was fuckered (intentionally or not) by $26 billion dollars, and they had to retract it, revise it, and re-release it to make up for the accounting error. The NDP platform is (and was from the beginning) fully and openly costed with clear financial tables and economic breakdowns -- the CPC platform is vague and unsubstantiated. As many private non-partisan economic groups and individuals warn that the CPC proposal is a sure-fire route to deficit as there are those who begrudgingly support it.

I'm not trying to dump on the CPC. But the NDP has been as committed to balanced budgets and fiscal prudence as the other mainline parties for quite some time now. The sooner this dated stereotyping and demonizing of contemporary social democrats ends, the better. The CPC is the big spending party now, and has been since the merger. Their priorities are just different -- and more expensive.

Caveat: I actually probably am a bleeding-heart, pinko dreamer :)

I can vouch that they have a house filled with quite ravenous cats' date=' rats, and a turtle ;).

Tim, I always admire your accounting skills.

[/quote']

OK

DIMP's (Double Income Many Pets)

dimps indeed...and not to trivialize the amount, $25 a month probably keeps a couple of cats in style. and for those further up the economic food chain, the 1% may become more significant. the depressing thing is it is a consumption tax. people can consume more and pay less tax, and we're all meant to feel good about it.

boo-urns!