Jambands.ca

Your Top 5 Moments At Bonnaroo...

shainhouse

Jambase had an article like this, and I think its fun.

5. The first 8 hours of the 16 hour wait. I've never partied harder and had a better time with complete strangers turned best friends on a crowded interstate ever!

4. The naked lady who was painted like a start hanging out around the fountain. People were lining up to take pictures with her. kinda funny!

3. The Polyphonic Spree. - Please tell me you say these guys. wow! God knows what they are, what they want to be or what message they are generating, but they are MAD cool.

2. Aston Barrett of the Wailers smoking a joint in the middle of his set, igniting a massive cloud of smoke that hung around the big stage for forty minutes. I swear to god a pound was smoked during that set, and I was elated, digging reggae, good vibes and good times.

1. Michael Franti and Spearhead.- I have to tell you, this was the best set of the weekend. He was uplifting, almost prophet-esque, leaving all of us drenched with sweat and happiness after his set. I'll never forget the clean vibes crew dancing during 'stay human' or the violin playing hula-hooper.

Alrighty, my top five in no order:

5. Thursday night: after paying locals $5 to show us a shortcut and waiting only an hour in line, seeing unnanounced bands the Hackensaw Boys and Antibalas was totally the best start to the weekend.

4. Waking up boiling hot every morning and grabbing a beer at 8 am.

3. The mist tents and the excellent beer available to consume inside the venue. Magic Hat.. mmmmm....

2. Falling asleep everywhere: I fell asleep watching Sonic Youth, Kaki King, moe., the Dead, Neil Young. Not that I was bored, it was just so perfect that I was so relaxed and just fell asleep. Strangely I remember most of what I think happened whilst sleeping...

1. Watching the Flaming Lips drunk off my ass on the swing set. These guys put on the best show of the festival, hands down. Watching a band as trippy as the Lips while on a swing set is something I highly recommend to everyone.

See you all again next year!!

AD

- Ya Mar and "Play it Leo"

- Hearing a killer Hendrix-ish guitar solo during Garage a Trois' set ... and realizing it was actually a saxaphone

- The Dead

- Drinking and driving and cops not giving a shit! (On the 7 hour wait to get in ... it's ok to drink when driving a mile an hour)

- Garlic grilled cheese for a buck!

These are all non music fav moments because there are too many musically great moments.

1. Picking up friends at the Nashville Airport Wednesday night and finding out that the gates had just opened, resulting in a 3 vehicle caravan speeding to Manchester to avoid the traffic we sat through last year. The negative part is that the first cars throught the gates got sent all the way to Camp Daniel Boone.

2. Partying thursday night and realizing that what I had come there for hadn't really even begun yet.

3. Dancing barefoot in the sun during the Wailers set and all by myself during Panic because everyone else I was with were Panic haters.

4. The belly dancers in Centeroo a few hours after the Dead set. There were only about 50 people sitting in the grass watching this and allthough they had been around all weekend doing various performances, nothing put me in a trance as much as that performance with the ambiant music and candles. Everyone who saw it was blown away. It was hard to move when it was over.

5. I'll keep number 5 to myself but it was lots of fun. [smile]

In no particular order:

- Eating a head of lettuce like an apple.

- Making weird sounds into a two-way radio to screw up anyone on the same channel.

- Dancing as the Dead opened their first set.

- Spinning tunes and dancing beside my van after the Dead finished.

- Talking to funny people (ie. "You Canadians are awesome; living up there in the pine trees and cold and kicking our asses." and "Aw, all my friends are sleeping, how come you guys are still partying?" (to which I replied, "Oh, we're Canadian")

In no particular order:

1) After sitting in a 5 hour traffic jam, parking, finishing setting up camp, parking myself in a lawn chair, and enjoying a chocolate/peanut butter/rice krispie/mushroom ball. [Eek!]

-

2) Lying on the grass during the Allmans set while the sun was beaming through dark storm clouds during "Soulshine"

-

3) Keller Williams... What can I say, nothing makes me smile like a Keller set.

4) Spearhead - When all the crazy people came out in costume, including spongebob, I laughed my ass off and totally was digging the music. "All the freaky people make the beauty of the world."

-

5) Hearing "Fire on the Mountain" performed live by the remaining members of the dead! [big Grin]

once again in no particular order.

- Lighting one up during burn one down.

- meeting 2 fellow canucks from Ottawa at the Main Stage.(I was the Canuck in the cowboy hat and tattoos.)

- Buying a digereedoo for 30 bucks. (It is so cool)

-Having a place 4 spots back on a tarp with all my friends for all the good shows

- Lighting one up for Cortez.

[Frown] Man I wanna go back now.

5. singing "happy Birthday Godfather" to James Brown.

4. the amount of beautiful/almost naked/painted breast people.

3. being high a yelling the call back lines during the "Rocky Horror picture show" in the movie tent/being knocked off my ass by some more amazing pot, while watching "The Warriors" in the movie tent.

2. Being knocked off my ass by some great weed under a tree, listening to G. Love

1.5- Dancing my ASS off to the Allman Brothers.

and the Wailers!!

1. when the whole audience at the ben harper set ligh up during "Burn on Down", the cloud of smoke on camera was sooooo amazing!

Archived