Jambands.ca

this Body Worlds stuff is crazy!

Birdy

I haven't been yet, but I am going. Everyone is pretty blown away by the detail of each specimen, so I've heard especially the nervous system. Although there is some controversy surrounding the "gathering" of the bodies and the plastinization process itself. Although I have seen a real cadaver and I am looking forward to leaving the smell behind and just looking at the beautiful inner workings of our bodies.

I watched an interview on CBC or so with the Scientist/ Artist (Dr. Gunther von Hagens) who is responsible. What a freak!

Regarding the controversial unborn fetus on display, he had somehting to the effect of this to say: "Well, if people see this unborn baby fetus it will make them happier that they didn't die before they were born and were able to live. So seeing this unborn fetus will make them appreciate their own existence more and be happy."

(I'm sure this quote is far from accurate..)

I just read that his exhibits have grossed more than a billion dollars! Doesn't he get all of his bodies for free too?

I went a few weeks ago with my wife and (almost) 12 year old daughter, and we all thought that it was an excellent exhibit. Fascinating, and at times mind-blowing. Probably the most enjoyable exhibit that I have ever seen in a museum, science centre, etc. We spent about 3 hours going through the exhibit, and did see it all, but we hit the saturation point, i.e., we couldn't absorb any more information. It would have been nice to check it out over two or three days, but that's not practical and would be expensive. It is also set up so that once you are in the exhibit you can't leave and then re-enter, and there aren't bathrooms, fountains, etc., in the actual exhibit area. So even spreading it out over a day isn't doable.

Having said that, I highly recommend this exhibit, especially for people that are into anatomy, the human body, etc. Human anatomy, biology, etc. has never really interested me that much, and I still thought that it was a great exhibit.

Peace, Mark

I went a few weeks ago with my wife and (almost) 12 year old daughter, and we all thought that it was an excellent exhibit. Fascinating, and at times mind-blowing. Probably the most enjoyable exhibit that I have ever seen in a museum, science centre, etc. We spent about 3 hours going through the exhibit, and did see it all, but we hit the saturation point, i.e., we couldn't absorb any more information. It would have been nice to check it out over two or three days, but that's not practical and would be expensive. It is also set up so that once you are in the exhibit you can't leave and then re-enter, and there aren't bathrooms, fountains, etc., in the actual exhibit area. So even spreading it out over a day isn't doable.

Having said that, I highly recommend this exhibit, especially for people that are into anatomy, the human body, etc. Human anatomy, biology, etc. has never really interested me that much, and I still thought that it was a great exhibit.

Peace, Mark

glad to hear you went too, mark. niffermouse and i went a couple weeks ago, we bought the books if you ever want to check it out in more detail.

it was amazing. the exhibit itself was beyond cool...to be able to actually see what it is inside you that moves when you stretch, and to finally see exactly what my diaphragm is and why it is that my belly moves when i breathe really deeply.

at atimes the people watching was more facinating than the exhibit itself...just to see the way people responded to what they were seeing...what really struck me was the matter-of-fact way that most people dealt with it...there were lots of younger kids around the night that we went and they all seemed pretty nonplussed about it. i think i would have been totally freaked at the same age. maybe a lot of them have already seen bits and pieces of people's insides flying around in video games and are desensitized to it.

very highly reccommended. i think it's on until some time in february. if you get a chance, go for sure. the audio commentary thing is worth the extra $5, get the more scientific one. they have 2 different versions of the commentary...we got one of each, i found the regular one to be a little too folksy and "aw shucks" for my liking.

glad to hear you went too, mark. niffermouse and i went a couple weeks ago, we bought the books if you ever want to check it out in more detail.

it was amazing. the exhibit itself was beyond cool...to be able to actually see what it is inside you that moves when you stretch, and to finally see exactly what my diaphragm is and why it is that my belly moves when i breathe really deeply.

at atimes the people watching was more facinating than the exhibit itself...just to see the way people responded to what they were seeing...what really struck me was the matter-of-fact way that most people dealt with it...there were lots of younger kids around the night that we went and they all seemed pretty nonplussed about it. i think i would have been totally freaked at the same age. maybe a lot of them have already seen bits and pieces of people's insides flying around in video games and are desensitized to it.

very highly reccommended. i think it's on until some time in february. if you get a chance, go for sure. the audio commentary thing is worth the extra $5, get the more scientific one. they have 2 different versions of the commentary...we got one of each, i found the regular one to be a little too folksy and "aw shucks" for my liking.

Thanks for the offer, Tim. We do have some stuff that Liana borrowed from a friend, but I'm not sure if it's the same materials that you have or not. The exhibit and related materials have provided a great learning experience for Katlin. She's really into it, and wasn't freaked out about the exhibit at all. And she doesn't play video games. She's always been very interested and fascinated by nature, even by stuff that some might find "gross" or freaky. Lots of that has to do with Liana's approach to nature and life, which I've always found very refreshing and enlightening.

I also enjoyed watching others view the display, but what stuck out for me was the range of people who were there, and how most of them were fascinated by the exhibit. It definitely appeals to a wide range of people, for a bunch of reasons.

Peace, Mark