Jambands.ca

Allan Rock for Liberal Leader

\/\/illy

Here's a question which came to me during the campaign: how much political experience do you think is required to be either an MP or the PM?

I admit that, while I may like some aspects of the policies of some of the smaller parties (like the Greens, or even the Marijuana Party), I don't have a lot of confidence in them (or the party leaders) to actually adequately perform the job.

Admittedly, it's a bit of a chicken vs. egg situation: I'm uncomfortable with inexperienced people running for heavy-duty offices, but how do they get experience? The only way I can think of is for people to go from local offices (city council, school boards, etc.), to maybe the provincial level, and then to the federal level. (That's not to say that municipal is easier than provincial which is easier than federal; in fact, part of me thinks that municipal politics deals more closely with people in their day-to-day lives, and is often more constrained. But as you go from municipal to federal, things take on a wider scope and have further-reaching implications.)

Aloha,

Brad

according to today's Globe and Mail, the big seven are:

FRANK McKENNA

MICHAEL IGNATIEFF

BELINDA STRONACH

MARTIN CAUCHON

JOE VOLPE

MAURIZIO BEVILACQUA

BOB RAE

BRIAN TOBIN

all of the folks on this list get a big "meh" out of me.

I would happily have Allan Rock run, particularly for his pragmatic views on pot (decriminalized) and other drugs (they are a health problem not a legal problem).

"arrest the addiction, not the addict."

of course, this would be another opportunity for reality TV to solve political dilemmas.

"Who Wants To Be Liberal Leader?"

Of the ones I know on that list, both Ignatieff and Stronach make me uncomfortable, for the reason listed in the question I asked, above. I don't think either of them have any experience actually governing (Rae, McKenna, and Tobin do, and, as I see, being a provincial premiere is a lot closer to being PM than either being a Harvard prof or a corporate CEO is).

Aloha,

Brad

When and how did Bob Rae regain enough credibility to make this short list?

from the same Globe and Mail article:

BOB RAE

STRENGTHS: Should Liberals wish to go for an outsider, Mr. Rae would fit the bill, given that he is a former New Democratic premier. Through recent assignments advising the new Iraqi government and conducting a review of the Air-India bombing, Mr. Rae has come to be referred to as a "statesman" and there was speculation last year that he was in the running to become governor-general.

WEAKNESSES: Ontario voters do not have warm memories of Mr. Rae's period as premier during the early 1990s.

SUPPORT BASE: Given that he has been involved in non-partisan activities since his government was defeated in 1995, Mr. Rae does not have an official organization. His brother John Rae was one of the most influential advisers to prime minister Jean Chrétien.

I've never voted Liberal, but having lived under Liberal governments, I feel "genuine renewal" is exactly what they need... Frank McKenna is not the man for the job.

As for Bradm's question; an MP or PM doesn't need a lot of political experience to get my vote -- any kind of leadership experience will do, whether it be in big business or social justice organizations or whatever. At this point I just want a representative thats more interested in getting things done than getting re-elected -- this past election was such a pathetic display of mudslinging and fearmongering by all the major parties.

I'm surprised noone has brought up that McKenna is a member of the Caryle group.

Yeah, that is perfectly creepy.

Rock could probably come through on charisma, but has a few gaffes in his political past that his opponents would doubtless capitalise on. Rae? I don't know if his neo-liberalism would help him out very much, nor the stink that still lingers, unfairly or not, from his premiership.

Someone was trying to tell me that Rock got into political trouble for trying to cover up an abortion that he arranged for his mistress. Any truth to this?

Does this ring a bell with anyone? I can't find anything on google and I'm starting to think I was being fed a line.

I'm surprised noone has brought up that McKenna is a member of the Caryle group.

Yeah' date=' that is perfectly creepy.

Rock could probably come through on charisma, but has a few gaffes in his political past that his opponents would doubtless capitalise on. Rae? I don't know if his neo-liberalism would help him out very much, nor the stink that still lingers, unfairly or not, from his premiership.[/quote']

i don't know how mckenna got through an entire year as US ambassador without this ever becoming any sort of issue...i'm our town environmental committee, and before each meeting we need to declare "pecuniary interest" (financial benefit from the outcome of decisions made) in any of the items on the agenda and sit out discussion on the item in question.

there must be something similar in frank's world. how is it that our ambassador was allowed to profit from the decisions made by his host government? not that he actually has much of a say in what goes on, but it's certainly a filter through which his advice to ottawa passes...

oh well, he's out now, freeing up my time to concentrate on fresher, more recent tragedies :)