Jambands.ca

GarageBand and Keyboard Question for Musicians or macHeads

YearsAlongTheSea

So, I don't play any instruments but I've been tooling around a lot lately on GarageBand with the DJ Jampack and if you've written anything on there with just the pre-recorded loops, you know it tends to get redundant. So I was wondering if anyone could recommend a very simple keyboard that I could run through garageband in order to compose my own beats and samples through it's filters. To make a long story short, I need something without all the bells and whistles as the bells and whistles are already on the computer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Edited by Guest
To give the thread's title a little more appeal, maybe attract more hits, I don't know

I have a cheapo Casio that has midi ins and outs. It 's decent to control the sounds in garageband with something like that. I bought it in 99 for about $199 at a costco so you should be able to find something like that second hand somewhere.

With the built in beats and a little editing you should be able to create new beats. I saw a tutorial vid for Logic Express and the guy literally performed magic on pre-existing loops. However, I don't know the capabilities of Garageband for that type of editing.

yeah, the versions in iLife 2006 are much better. The podcasting features of the new GB are great, but for some reason when I setup a podcast project instead of an audio one, there is an annoying vocal delay in the mic monitor which screws you up.

I'll have to figure that out. I turned off all of the effects and there is still a delay.

Hey, I dabble in the electronic music world a bit. I found the same thing where samples were ending up in a few of my songs, so I rented a small midi keyboard. It was so simple to make my own samples....Garageband makes it so simple. Basically, if you go to Long and McQuade (big music store chain) I would recommend renting one for 2 weeks. It'll end up being like 20 bucks. This is the best route to take when you're just startin out....The one I rented was about 1/3 the standard keyboard size....I would assume that the L&Ms usually rent out the same units across the country, so you should be able to find the same one...happy creating...

I found a link....

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MAudioO2-main.html