Jambands.ca

Vanderpark, Throwback, Inglewood Jack - This Friday, Feb 24th - Mavericks

Inglewood Jack

Hi everbody, Inglewood Jack here. I just wanted to tell you about a gig I'll be playing this coming Friday, Feb 24th, at Mavericks in Ottawa.

This show is a triple bill with our friends Vanderpark and Throwback so come on out and enjoy a evening packed full of great music and hopefully some fun surprises as well.

The show starts at 9:00 and I'll be the first one up so get there early, but be sure to stay there late!

If you can't make this show and want to stay up to date on my gigs you can join the Inglewood Jack mailing list by going here

Though I will be posting all of my gig announcements to the board, by joining the email list you will be guaranteed to stay up to date with all the latest IJ news.

Once again.. the show details are:

Who: Vanderpark, Throwback and Inglewood Jack

Where: Mavericks, Ottawa, ON (221 Rideau)

When: Friday, Feb 24th - Doors open at 9:00pm

feb24ottawa.jpg

His name is Dennis Sarlis, and he came to Inglewood Jack on a referral from Wayne Eagles. He's studied under Chet Breau, and also plays in Memphis Mafia, but he also wants to get into "new funk" in the vein of artists like MMW. As well as being a great guitar player, he also does transcribing on the side, so has a great feel for translating what he hears into what he plays. (We were originally going to do one song, that normally has vocals, instrumentally, and he was able to double to vocal line on guitar, from ear alone.)

Aloha,

Brad

We've only performed it once before, during our Wakefest set, but when we did it then, it was more of a "tease", as all we really did was the (first) verse. For this show, we decided to do the whole song, and in fact arranged it instrumentally (with Dennis doing the vocal lines on guitar). But we know that Vanderpark has done MJ covers before (e.g., "Thriller" from their Canada Day set), so we thought it'd be cool to have one of them come up and do the vocals on "Billie Jean". I did some planning ahead and brought a printout of the lyrics, which Marcus was actually reading as he was singing. A bit of pleading and cajoling, and he stepped up and did it, which was the highlight of our set, for me.

Aloha,

Brad

I just wanted to give a big thanks to those who came out, and Vanderpark and Throwback for having Inglewood Jack open up. I think the show was great fun, and I really dug both Throwback's and Vanderpark's sets. I can't wait for Inglewood Jack to do it again!

Thanks guys!

The show was awesome, we had such a wicked time - always fun in Ottawa. IJ, you guys were killer...totally dug the grooves. Though Marcus isn't registered on the board I'll speak on his behalf by saying that he had a ton of fun belting out Bille Jean...only to roll over on his ankle on the way off the stage! It's pretty swollen and red...he almost had to sit down to play on saturday night. I'm not sure how he stood during the set friday. He's a champ, he'll be fine.

This was a night of great tunes...lookin forward to more of it.