Jambands.ca

DOUG COX, SAM HURRIE, HARRISON KENNEDY~Thurs.feb 23rd~PJC

kc

Anyone into some very talented and respected multi- intrumentalists will dig Doug Cox and Sam Hurrie.

Thursday @ Pepper Jack's

with guests: HARRISON KENNEDY, TWILIGHT HOTEL

Harrison has just recently been nominated for yet another Juno for best blues album.

ADV TIX $12

7:30 start.

http://www.dougcoxandsamhurrie.com/

"In 1967 I was in a band called the Churls, playing in

Yorkville, at

that time Toronto's answer to Haight-Ashbury. There

were lots of great venues and at that time all the

folk blues greats came through. I was lucky enough to

see some of my heroes including Son House, Bukka White

and Sonny Terry and Browny MacGhee." Sam Hurrie

Cox is a multi-instrumentalist and as a sideman is

known for

his work with the likes of Delta blues guitarist Ken

Hamm, American songwriter Chuck Brodsky, British Blues

Icon Long John Baldry and most lately, string-bending

guitar Guru Amos Garrett. Cox is a favorite workshop

leader and collaborator at Festivals across Canada.

When the show opens with 'France Blues' and the instruments being played are a 1930 National mandolin & 1930 National guitar, you just know its going be great.

I was completely floored when they kicked out Duane Allman's ' Little Martha', so sweet, really felt to me like I was getting a indirect window back to the beginning of the seventies when Duane wrote & played it, my god was it good.

Kev0, the 'No Expectations' cover is serious good, I grabbed their new album (2 copies - one for a friend). Even after the show we were prompted to throw the disc in & crank it up.

There was a bunch of tunes from their new album which were great, and a awesome collection of covers with a nice ol' "all players get up & jam" encore which my buddy Geordie was able to get them to do with the purchase of two pints. (Best two pints ever bought in a bar IMHO).

Heres some of the covers they played;

(all songs played on a 1951 LG1 Gibson acoustic, Celtic cross double-neck Weissenborn, dobro or 1930 national guitar & 1930 national mandolin)

France Blues (trad.)

Little Martha (D. Allman)

No Expectations (R.Stones)

John The Revelator > Nobody's fault but mine

While my guitar gently weeps (instrumental)

For the encore, they asked the other players who opened to come up, so we had Doug Cox, Sam Hurrie Harrison Kennedy, Doug (soundman) & the guy from the first band (Twilight Hotel? ) all up playing.

They played two songs for the encore, I forget the first one & 'She caught the KD' sung by Doug(Des on the board here) which was a real treat in my opinion, awesome stuff Doug, cheers to ya my friend.

Anyway, thats my best review at the moment, but simply put...it was absolutley amazing.

Edited by Guest

Man, giving this disc yet another listen & am blown away. Hey Kev0, do you have their other disc? Sorta wonderin what its like, I knew I shoulda but em both.

Which album did you get Esau? The one I have is "Hungry Ghosts". If they have a newer one than that, I gotta get it! I wrote a review of Hungry Ghosts for this site, its posted in the reveiws section.