Jambands.ca

Looking for help on researching Canadian banking industry

afro poppa

I am doing a case study report for Human Resources class and one of the discussion questions is to provide an overview of the Canadian Banking industry and the unique aspects that impact Human Resources...does anyone have any ideas/insight/research material/info or whatever that they could help me out with?

I'm struggling...

How about going to some Canadian Court websites, and look at judgments about "wrongful dismissal" of employees of banks.

Those tend to be the issues that raise the eyebrows of the powers that be at banks when hiring/firing other employees.

(If you find a judgment that particularly interests you, and you'd like some clarification on it, I'd be happy to take a look as well.)

afro poppa - I'm not sure I really get the question. Could you give a rough example of what those unique aspects might be? (or maybe this is where you are struggling, so can't?)

I can think of one or two people I could fire the question off to who might be in a position to give some decent answers, but I'm not really sure yet what I would be asking ...

Naaaaah.

You don't owe me anything, but don't hesitate to PM me if you find a case that seems interesting, if you are unsure of some of the subtleties as set out in the judgment by the judge(s). As I said, I'd be happy to read anything you find and give you my own take on the salient points.

Also, when you're reading, don't only look at why the bank was sued. Also consider the reasons the bank provides for why they may have fired someone, because that may also reveal some of the unique concerns banks have over their staff. (For instance, I seem to remember a case when a bank employee used to throw a "block" of money into his garbage can every day by his feet. If the bank were to ever be robbed, he planned to take that "block" [apparently a lot of money] home and blame it on the robbery. He was surprised this was problematic, seeing how the insurance company would cover the loss anyway!)

The Supreme Court of Canada judgment-website (run by "Lexum" at the U of Montreal) would probably be a good place to start. Run a Google search for "Lexum" and "Supreme Court of Canada".