Jambands.ca

Cubicles: The great mistake

SevenSeasJim

For those of you in cubicle hell.

NEW YORK (FORTUNE Magazine) - Robert Oppenheimer agonized over building the A-bomb. Alfred Nobel got queasy about creating dynamite. Robert Propst invented nothing so destructive. Yet before he died in 2000, he lamented his unwitting contribution to what he called "monolithic insanity."

Propst is the father of the cubicle. More than 30 years after he unleashed it on the world, we are still trying to get out of the box. The cubicle has been called many things in its long and terrible reign. But what it has lacked in beauty and amenity, it has made up for in crabgrass-like persistence.

Full Article

I don't do the office thing anymore, but the last time I did, I worked on an "open floor" plan. Maybe it was just because I disliked the job, the people I worked for and sometimes the people I worked with. I would have done anything to hide in a cubicle to tear my fingernails out from time to time, but nope. Nowhere to hide.

I don't do the office thing anymore, but the last time I did, I worked on an "open floor" plan. Maybe it was just because I disliked the job, the people I worked for and sometimes the people I worked with. I would have done anything to hide in a cubicle to tear my fingernails out from time to time, but nope. Nowhere to hide.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Your cubicle is your best friend when you're at work with a hangover.

i'm in a half cube/half open floor plan situation- which i like. mostly i need the interaction. if i were four-walled in, i might die. every once in a while i get seriously annoyed when a certain co-worker complains about my "hippie" music, but other than that it's cool. i have just enough privacy to hide my screen when i want to, put up a few personal belongings, and am out in the open enough to give a shout out every once in a while.

people don't hate cubicles, they hate their jobs.

My cubicle is a four person one so it's not too bad. We have privacy (for viewing videos such as bradm's latest find the glasses commercial) and we each have a place to hang shit with a cabinet, etc (the cubicle has a desk in each corner with it's own shit). My cubemates aren't picky and laugh at the same stuff I do so it's not too bad. One thing I found really nice here is that they provide you with earphones so that you can listen to music all day and no one complains. Another nice thing is that the walls are just short enough that I can see and talk over them.

I've finally resigned myself to acceptance of a cubicled life :(

some days i wish for a cube, im in an open office, 3 rows of big ol cherrywood desks, i swear i almost ran across the tops of them all today and dropkicked my manager in her stupid fat fucking face.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yeah i hate my job, but its paying bills so what do i do? i keep looking for better work

i have a swanky corner cube too, with one huge window and one partition.. maybe it's the window that does it for me. plus my cube is deluxe in comparison to everyone elses. i have more file cabinets and a table too.

also, i could be wrong.

:)

Edited by Guest