Jambands.ca

Cosmik Jenkinz - New Jam Band

cheesehead

Last night in Detroit, this Canadian Jam Band that I saw called Cosmik Jenkinz played the following set:

Roses are Free, Mike's Song>Fire on the Mountain, Bertha>Franklin's Tower, The girl I love she got long black wavy hair, Layla, Little Bones, 2001, Waste>Antelope, Hookahville

E: Jonney B. Goode

If these guys come to Toronto, I am for sure going. They are sick and jam like mad.

Anyone else like the set?

y'think?

I do see what you're saying, but I would consider a "jamband" as one which has taken time to create their own songs, unique jamming style and entertaining live show. If a band plays nothing except cover songs, then they are a cover band IMO, even if they play a 40 minute Dark Star.

If we don't make the distiction, then neither will the media.

I can see the headline now: Jambands Are Nothing But Bands Who Cover The Dead And Phish.

Cheesehead,

what were you doing in Detroit?

kung, I think you are being an asshole by saying that. sure some jambands sound like phish or the dead, but a lot dont. I read your posts and always wonder what it is you like about this scene anyway? You definitley dont seem to get it..

mook.

Hey all! Might as well jump in, kung is as usual is trying to be a shit-disturber which I for one always enjoy, so I'm happy to pick up the gauntlet! [Wink]

"Jamband" & "cover band" are not, IMHO, the same, nor are they mutually exclusive. I'd say this band is probably both.

nero, for example is a "jam band" (some might say arguably but that's another debate) but definitely not a "cover band", in that nearly all their material is original.

FYI we had an interesting little thread related to this a while back:

http://www.jambands.ca/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=007139

My two-cents for whatever it's worth. Probably about 1.5 cents, tops! [Razz]

Peace,

Mr. M.

Most of the bands will tell you I'd rather hear a good cover any day than an original- unless it's a sick ass original and then the opposite is true. I've heard someone in our midst recently distinguish privately between 'artists' and 'players' which is almost more to the point of what we're on about here. I just said 'same diff' after all. I've heard the Cheese's new album is angrier or moodier or something- oh that and they compared it to Dark Side or some other epic. Good luck is all I have to say. I think it's just that the folk tradition if you like is loaded with so many timeless songs that a unique well chosen rendition of a classic like say Fred Neil's Dolphins, which we really know from Richie Havens (who almost only played 'covers') or Tim Buckley with very different versions respectively, Beth Orton does a stab at it as a respectful take on the starsailors.

quote:

Originally posted by kung:

Most of the bands will tell you I'd rather hear a good cover any day than an original- unless it's a sick ass original and then the opposite is true. I've heard someone in our midst recently distinguish privately between 'artists' and 'players' which is almost more to the point of what we're on about here. I just said 'same diff' after all. I've heard the Cheese's new album is angrier or moodier or something- oh that and they compared it to Dark Side or some other epic. Good luck is all I have to say. I think it's just that the folk tradition if you like is loaded with so many timeless songs that a unique well chosen rendition of a classic like say Fred Neil's Dolphins, which we really know from Richie Havens (who almost only played 'covers') or Tim Buckley with very different versions respectively, Beth Orton does a stab at it as a respectful take on the starsailors.

That's interesting kung. I've had conversations with various people in the past about songs in the rock tradition that have verged on becoming "standards". A while back there was a post about "things a good jamband shouldn't do" or something like that based on an article I think from jambands.com, and one of the rules was "don't play All Along The Watchtower." And I sort of see the point of this, in that it's a song that is arugably over-done, but at the same time it's also sort of become a standard in rock that is open for interpretation. When the Dead or Neil Young or U2 or Dave Matthews or Michael Hedges all play Watchtower, it's a different song in each of their hands but familar all the same. It's sort of like how every jazz combo plays "Summertime", but they each have their own take on it which makes it theirs.

It's a bit of a fine line and I can both sides of the debate. But I'd certainly never argue that a band is bad just 'cus they play a lot of covers - Mark Wilson plays a lot of covers and he kicks ass, as do a lot of the great blues and funk bands I've seen.

Peace,

- M.

Archived