Jambands.ca

Throwback: The Slip/ Evolve/08/23/24

kung

Just listening to the 08/23 set and blown away by so many things. The STTN closer and Sorry encore from their Friday sets are really unreal. The Sorry!!!! Marc is said to play this song as a mock apology for a job not well done. It's just so fucking intense, likely more so than other later versions of the same song in Canada. I guess this last run was so mind boggling it's easy to overlook their past accomplishments in Canada. The Sorry is still going.... crazy modular harmonics and fierce dynamics.... I don't even know if I want to get into the Saturday just yet, they did drum and bass both nights so one must be Aptos and one Tenfold although I can never tell them apart. I just love these guys and that's that.

the saturday night is the night from that weekend. an all out blistering mind f#@%! i recall at one point brad hittin some notes and the same notes gettin played backwards(??)

some people felt the saturday night was too much and not 'on'. when in fact it is my opinion that it was sooo 'on' that it just flew right by as noise to some people without them ever fully knowing what had just transpired. then...amidst all the madness and and all the chaos and all the wierdness grew the wonderous knee bending tear jerking heart plucking new sounds that i would soon learn to know as 'if one of us should fall' i can still taste the tear i almost cried that night.

have fun w/ that kung. i am currently seeking the first evolve performances w/ the 'friends' on friday and the 'stand by me' on saturday.

they should have never been removed from the lineup this year IMHO. no matter who else is playing....they deserve to be there and they will be sadly missed.

[Frown]

Oddly enough even though I'm not a taper I've probably got some of the more comprehensive footage of that first year in the form of Digital Video footage expertly shot by the Abe. Although he shot two full tapes and lost one, one of which went into Revolve stock footage as he gets a video credit. Still don't have my original back though if Greg Hemmings actually ended up with it as I suspect. The one tape I have though has the whole friends portion and some real up close personal shots with Dave Lauzon guesting with the slip. That and the Black Interview which is soon to make an appearance.

Luke,

It's impossible to talk up The Slip too much if you ask me. Seriously, I don't know why the whole world doesn't love this band.

Do you have them playing with Fareed Haque, covering Shakti's "Get Down and Sruti"? Jeezus.

Will I be seeing you at Hillside?

Adam

P.S. I think the date is I think the date's 7-05-2002 for that.

Hate to disagree, cause everyone's opinions are lovely, but I just can't figure this band out. At Evolve, I was blown away...100%. They fucking rocked. At Berkfest last summer they had one good set and one really bad one. In Montreal, the shows I saw were hit and miss.

Here's what I see as the only problem. Brad should just stop singing. These guys jam better than all but 2 house-jam bands IMO (they don't touch Particle or STS9) but their songs are for the most pretty tame. What they need is a big fat black chick to bust out the vocals and then the boys can work on the playing which is what they do best. Course, I think every band should have a big fat black chick, like Gloria Jones or someone.

---Was anyone at the Shakedown party at that dude's farm in Acton when JGB played (1998 summer) ... this chick (not Gloria Jones -who was there too) busted out the best version of the weight I've ever heard. To this day, that is one of the sweetest moments of my life

I like Brad's vox! a little more indie than most jam vocalists, but I think the sincerity of it makes it very good and special. I liked mor eat first take than trey's voice too..

anyway, point is- a band like the slip takes enough chances mixing things up that they arent going to be as great some nights. relish in their effort if you can.

particle is doing the same thing every night.

(um-ps um-ps um-ps)

That's the show I have the DV footage for. The sound is really good and could be synched to a better recording. It's just amazing to see the fear in Dave and the steam coming out of his nose like a bull. Later that night as we were settling into the black interview we watched the footage back and Dave noticed they'd left him room to do a solo that he hadn't noticed or grabbed for. I'm sure I've heard the band say something similar, it was appropriate he laid back though and did his tone king bit.

i also don't mean to be argumentative or dismiss anyones opinion as being "wrong".

however........

there is so much misunderstanding in the above statement regarding brads voice and the feel of the band that i almost have no response. all i can truly say tonyrage is keep listening and it will hit you. brad has the voice of an angel IMHO. not due to the sound of his voice but the delivery.....it's real.

the way i see it the slip are a very passionate band with passionate lyrics and collectively they prefer to have a greater connection with thier audience over a mere formulated drum n bass/house movement for everyone to move to (i'm also not sayin either particle or STS9 are going by a formula here either, both are great). part of the beauty of seeing the slip i find are those tender moments that make a person wanna almost fall into a cloud dreams and be swept away by the melody of it all. these feelings may not be discovered if one is not acustomed to looking for them. i myself fall from the tree that stemmed stalla blue moreso than the one the stemmed other one. it's all really just a matter of what you are looking for. and as you so rightly put it all opinions are equally important and often enough very different. i've definately been touched moreso by the beauty of it all as opposed to the thump and snap (which i also enjoy greatly i might add), and i haven't been able to find such beauty in any other notes since, nor in any other voice.

such a soft warm simple wonder. [big Grin]

Archived