Jambands.ca

technical ponderings

payce-ley

queries that ran through the noggin this week:

has anyone ever built (or tried to build) a "stealth" car that avoids radar?

and... if someone hacked their operating system date to remain on the same day, you'd figure you could use trial software forever... has it been done?

and imagine if you could combine the 2?! (ok, just made that one up)

queries that ran through the noggin this week:

has anyone ever built (or tried to build) a "stealth" car that avoids radar?

I recall a car magazine (it might have been "Car & Driver") trying this a couple of decades ago. I think they took a Saab (it being curvier than most, with fewer right angles in its body work), decked it out in charcoal grey paint (regular paint, though, not the stealth stuff they use on the high-tech planes) and maybe put a detector or two in it. I can't recall how well it worked, but I doubt it'd be worth it, today, especially as some police forces are using lasers instead of radar.

and... if someone hacked their operating system date to remain on the same day, you'd figure you could use trial software forever... has it been done?

Yup. One product I worked on had what was called a "timed key": you bought it to work for so many weeks/months/years, but by resetting the clock on the system, it was possible to fake it out. Mind you, it'd also be pretty easy to have a program beat this.

Aloha,

Brad

Additional features include a stealth mode—a virtually silent operating mode that reduces the Aggressor's thermal presence and enemy detection potential—and an on-board electric power generator that supports communications, surveillance, targeting, and other electronic equipment. The Aggressor can drive to a destination and then serve as a silent power generator. In both of these capacities, the Aggressor produces no emissions.

T_Nws11-05_Aggressor.gif

THE U.S. ARMY'S HYDROGEN STEALTH ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE

Would it ever be worth it to keep your computer's clock from moving foward just so that you could never pay for a few piece's of trialware?

Also, if you're willing to use the trialware longer than you are licensed to without paying, you may as well just find a warez version.

Would it ever be worth it to keep your computer's clock from moving foward just so that you could never pay for a few piece's of trialware?

more a "how might it work" than a "would it be worthwhile" ponder... figure someone got obsessed with "beating the clock", free software could've been a motivator

was going over different ways of manipulating the clock in my head... personal favorite flight of fancy was to have the clock go back in time, second by second, minute by minute, year by year... could be kind of endearing as it'd make you aware of the aging of your system (so long as you were also paying attention to calendar time)... also be a kind of cryptic way to watch time go by... the confusion of it makes me smile =)

obviously a purchase or cracked torrent would do the trick a thousand-fold easi-ly-er... but that wouldn't teach you the intricacies of whats going on inside your O/S shell (seemed to pay off for Gates and Jobs ;))

why'd the man climb the mountain? cause he blew all his money on weed and couldn't afford the ski-lift

cheers, thanks for the inputs

Edited by Guest
yes

obviously a purchase or cracked torrent would do the trick a thousand-fold easi-ly-er... but that wouldn't teach you the intricacies of whats going on inside your O/S shell

If its just for software, I like learning how to manipulate the the license time (shown above) instead of playing with my OS. Playing with my OS, thats what my second computer is good for, allows for more screwing around without permantley losing all my main computers contents.

programming school messed my damn noodle!

lol

actually do spend a decent amount of time thinking about such things because I find it interesting... left off my comp studies having become aware of, but not really grasping the mysterious "kernel" along with the "shell" which seemed to be the object of C (at the time) programmers desire particularly on Unix systems... at which time I realized school was full of too many florescent lights, and the undeniable strength of new found love would effortlessly plow through anything the future held... (whoops)

got interested in programming because of my interest in psychology, oddly enough... taking psych at McMaster basically taught me we don't really understand much about the mind... figured if you could conceive how to get plotted sequences of actions to accomplish tasks, then maybe grok what it takes to enable a series of electrical pathways to eventally make choices independent of programming (learn) it could offer a glimpse at how we work, as we also run off electrical impulses... ("and chemical..." he mulled over, glancing from his glass of pop to the computer tower and back)

why'd the steel worker study psychology? because he was crazy, like everyone else taking psych =)

(ok, thats it... I'm off to bed)

more daydreaming than about to start soldering my motherboard in any case... feeding content to the insatiable mad interweb steals too much of my time to leave any for such joyous frivalties

Edited by Guest
yes

as for a stealth car, driving down the highway figured there must be a folk legend about someone with the mountain of cash who decided "have Lamborgini shaped like F-117 and radar-absorbent paint job, will travel"... you just know someone had to have tried

now to figure out how to beat the laser... as air defense systems don't just use lasers to spot stealthy planes, you'd figure it can be done