Jambands.ca

How Not to Eat

Dr_Evil_Mouse

Absolutely. Indian food just isn't the same if you're not scooping it up with naan, and eating Ethiopian with a fork and spoon just wouldn't feel right at all!

An Ethiopian guy meggo and I know who spent some time as a political prisoner suggested we not eat at Horn of Africa (for political reasons that escape me at the moment, but having to do with their support of the regime in some capacity, I think ... I don't know nearly enough about it ...). I've heard that there is at least one other good Ethiopian restaurant in Ottawa. Anyone have any suggestions?

As far as the article itself ... boo! I understand that it is a bit of a delicate thing trying to navigate cultural norms and etiquette, but 'pig'?

• 1 month later...

the other place that our friend recommended is called 'east african restaurant'. he said the food is very good and it's cleaner [cleanliness was not the reason to avoid horn of africa, however, as d. pointed out].

sorry i don't have more info about why to not go there - all i can say is, there is a very nasty ruling group in ethiopia that has been in place for years, and i guess the horn of africa people may be supporters of that group in some way, shape, or form. but, by the same token, it's probably not the best idea for me to speculate when it comes to such matters!

i've never been to either place but i'd like to try them both! :)

[and that article is unbelievable, by the way }:( ]

Any update on The Horn of Africa thing d-rawk? I'm lovin' that place lately.

Yeah, it is awesome, isn't it? :)

East African Restaurant does sound good though.

It really isn't clear to me whether the thing with Horn of Africa has to do with financial support or just political affiliation. If it's just political affiliation, well, I don't think it is realistic (or even desirable) to make dining choices based on what the owners might happen to believe. Hmm. Wasn't there a Seinfeild episode about that? (abortion).

The more that I think about it, the more I think I'm comfortable with Horn of Africa. I'll just politely not mention it in his company :)

Hey, Ms. Hux ... do you and Bouche still do the Foodeeze blog thing? I'd totally forgotten about that.

• 3 weeks later...