Jambands.ca

B/V Duo with M.G. - The 50 MIN FOAM!!!!!!

scottieking

This was one I heard about but didn't take an interest in until recently.

It is, IMHO, the finest interpretation of a Phish song ever. Not just interpretation, but modification, impervisation, dog at the station masterjam.

The "head" isn't even reached until the 15 mins point or so. It is best experienced on a long solo car drive or with full intentions of listening intently.

04/27/05 Mike Gordon and the Benevento/Russo Duo

The Georgia Theatre, Athens, GA

Set 1

Foam 51:52

This makes me both excited for the Hummingbird and apprehensive.

I'm afraid that the Trey factor may spoil the beautiful alchemy here.

Available on Live Phish, Oink, or the archive.

Yes, I have listened to it several times through. I find it hard to elaborate except to say that I found the Duo's approach (in general and particularly here) to be the kind of musicianly, navel-gazing, pedantic self-indulgence I find just tiring and dull, no matter how many attempts they make to keep things interesting. Great players.

I am not trying to pick a fight either. Please carry on with the love, Scottie. I hope all is well for ya by the way. We said goodbye to Brian this weekend. Gonna miss that dude!

Wow, Hamilton is off to the land of Kimchi again eh? Good on him.

I'll tell you what I loved about it.

1)I always got the sense that we were just getting the best of Mike right when Phish ended (Fishman too. Page and Trey's pro-phish-ancy however was in severe decline) This presented the forward charging, sometimes leading, sometimes hanging back approach that I always wanted from MR Gordon.

2)The telepathy that was going on up there is in mind incredible. Musically it felt at times like this Hong Kong style fight scene, with each player picking up the ball at different times and running with it.

3) Variations on a theme. I love Foam. I also enjoy deconstruction. I love the renewed versatility this tune has gained.

4) Energy. Can you imagine what it like to be in the center of that whirling dirvish?

5) I can appreciate that for some it is tendious, or even self indulgant, but for a first attempt at something special, I applaud the effort and except that in 51 mins, not all will be good. Show me a Playin in the Band that goes past 20 mins that doesn't engage in the same kind of over indulgence. I just don't believe that the magic moments that happen in the midst of all that are possible without it.

All for now. Back to teaching the Cold War on the hottest day of the year so far!

I am glad you enjoy this performance!

Mike is definitely in the peak of his career, I'll give him that. A great player that just keeps on getting better.

I would be interested in his latest honky-tonk project though, Ramble Dove.