Jambands.ca

Last snowboard-day of the season...

StoneMtn

So, I'm now getting myself ready to head out for my last few hours of snowboard-season 2005/06. It won't be a kickass powder day, but it's the last day the Mountain's open this year (apart from the summer season way up on the glacier, which isn't really the same thing).

This makes me truly sad.

I've been skiing/snowboarding pretty much all my life. Then in the teenage years it started to get really really boring because our southern ontario hills are so small...takes 30 seconds to get to the bottom of the hill. I have gone maybe once in the past 3 years...I wanna live in whistler!!!

I heard its been a great season out there in BC, eh? Unfortunately I didn't get out once this season. Korea is something like 80% covered in mountains and they have some decent ski resorts but I was just working too much during the Winter. :(

Hey StoneMtn, I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Whistler and living there. What is it about Whistler that keeps you there? The terrain is the best, but how does it stack up for you against the crowds, the high prices, the glitz and glamour and the bullshit that accompanies a high class resort town. I'm not trying to diss Whistler or you; I hope you know where I'm coming from. I guess you take the good with the bad. In my winters out West I've always gone with the smaller more low-key towns (Golden, Rossland). Those towns had a lot less to offer in terms of things like live music, nightlife, etc.

The crowds are only a hassle during the busiest of weekends, and even then it just means slightly longer lineups at the lifts. No big deal.

I spend very little time in Whistler Village, and I don't even drink alcohol so I'm not usually among the people you speak of. If I go out to a bar, it's to see a live band (and I pretty much only ever went to a local dive called The Boot Pub, which is nothing like the rest of new Whistler; as it'd been there for thirty-four years until it closed last month). I also rarely go to the overpriced restaurants, as my girlfriend and I usually go to a particular local pub.

The point is, Whistler is a great, little town, with lots of great stuff for locals and very cool local people.

If you spend your time in Whistler Village, you would get a different impression of the place, but that would be like living in Toronto and spending all your time in Yorkville and then complaining. I like the local-type stuff, the outdoorsy lifestyle, and the very cool young people who've chosen to live here. The fact that many good bands swing by is a bonus too.

Whistler isn't the Village. It's everything else. Love it here.

I've only spent a few days in Whistler here and there, and I did spend most my time in the village.. Which turned me off living there. I still have a few good friends living there though and they also love it. I guess once you know the mountains well, you can find the fresh stuff well before the tourists do eh. The terrain is unbeatable. Its a shame to hear the Boot has shut down! I spent a few great nights there (Slow Nerve Action, maybe Brickhouse, and also Zoophorus weekend).

I too am sad the boot closed...the one yr I lived there it was the only bar I liked.

I loved Whistler, after only living there a yr, 10yrs ago, I still wish to this day that I had never left...BUT I will be back..hehe

seeya one day StoneMtn :)

Update:

I learned today that my season's pass is good on the glacier until June 18. It's hardly worth paying and going through the hassle of summer skiing up there, but a couple weeks of spring skiing for free will be well worth it.

Back on!

Update:

I learned today that my season's pass is good on the glacier until June 18. It's hardly worth paying and going through the hassle of summer skiing up there, but a couple weeks of spring skiing for free will be well worth it.

Back on!

I shake my fist in jealousy!!!! I've been done for months here!!!!!!

Nice work, get a run in on Canada Day wouldya?

AD