Jambands.ca

Frank Yallop unexpectedly resigns

Booche

OTTAWA (CP) -- The Canadian men's soccer program is looking for a new head coach after Frank Yallop unexpectedly resigned Wednesday for a job with the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer.

The Canadian Soccer Association said a search will begin immediately to replace Yallop, who took over the national squad on Dec. 16, 2003 and led it to an 8-9-3 mark.

"It didn't have anything to do with Frank being unhappy with the national team," said CSA spokesman Earl Cochrane. "Frank is still a young coach and I think he missed the day-to-day things associated with coaching a team.

"From our perspective, we are incredibly disappointed because things were looking up with Frank in charge. Now, it's the job of the CSA to find a person to take the national team forward."

Kevan Pipe, the CSA's chief operating officer, wasn't available for comment Wednesday. He's in Germany attending the World Cup.

Yallop was introduced as the new Galaxy coach in Los Angeles on Wednesday. The move comes a day after the Galaxy fired head coach Steve Sampson amid a six-game losing streak, the longest in club history.

"I am very excited to be joining the Galaxy and to be re-joining MLS," Yallop said in a statement released by the team. "It is a wonderful set up in L.A. It is one of the top club situations in MLS and I am really looking forward to getting going and working with the players."

Yallop returns to the league where he began his coaching career as an assistant with the Tampa Bay Mutiny in 1999.

Two years later, the former Canadian international over as head coach of the San Jose Earthquakes, leading them to MLS Cup titles in 2001 and 2003.

He was the 2001 MLS coach of the year and owns the third-highest winning percentage (.595) in league history.

"The Jewel of MLS just became more dazzling," team president and general manager Alexi Lalas said in a release. "It's a pleasure to bring Frank back to the league and more importantly to the Galaxy family.

"He's charged with returning this team to the championship calibre that our fans have come to know and expect, and I believe it's only a matter of time before he does exactly that."

Yallop, a former Ipswich Town defender in England, played 52 games for the Canadian national team over seven years.

He made his debut against Mexico in 1990 and became a regular on the Canadian defence, appearing in every match he was available through to the end of qualifying for the 1998 World Cup.

Yallop served as team captain in 1997.

probably a pretty easy choice considering the [lack of] funding the Nat'l team gets. sad though, i wonder who they'll get to replace him

and hey who wouldn't want to live in LA LA land anyway?

(I heard frank's going to live in the Beckhams' garage, help fix his cars, walk the dog, that sort of thing. hey i wonder if yallop was in the Ipswich side that got whooped 9-0 by Bex and co.???)

Edited by Guest
wish for my wings to be done by the spring