Jambands.ca

X

Joan

Actually, now that I think of it, it was the eggs florentine (spinach) that I had with the lemon diablo sauce. Mucho yummy. Two recipes below: Alton Brown's hollandaise recipe, and a "spicy lemon chive hollandaise sauce". Haven't tried it yet, but it might come close ... hmm ... Sox used to work at SFD. Maybe she knows the lemon diablo secret.

AB's hollandaise sauce

3 egg yolks

1 teapsoon water

1/4 teaspoon sugar

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, chilled and cut into small pieces

1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Pour 1-inch of water into a large saucepan; over medium heat, bring to a simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low.

Place egg yolks and 1 teaspoon water in a medium mixing bowl and whisk until mixture lightens in color, approximately 1 to 2 minutes. Add the sugar and whisk for another 30 seconds.

Place the mixture over the simmering water and whisk constantly for 3 to 5 minutes, or until there is a clear line that is drawn in the mixture when you pull your whisk through, or the mixture coats the back of a spoon.

Remove the bowl from over the pan and gradually add the butter, 1 piece at a time, and whisk until all of the butter is incorporated. Place the bowl back over the simmering water occasionally so that it will be warm enough the melt the butter. Add the salt, lemon juice, and cayenne pepper. Serve immediately or hold in a thermos to keep warm.

Spicy lemon chive hollandaise sauce

2 egg yolks

1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice

1/4 to 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce

salt and white pepper to taste

1/2 cup olive oil, heated until hot

2 Tbsp. sour cream

1 Tbsp. snipped fresh chives

1. In a blender container, combine egg yolks, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, salt, and white pepper; blend at high speed for 30 seconds.

2. With blender still running, pour heated olive oil in a steady stream until mixture is completely emulsified.

3. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in sour cream and chives. Blend well. Serves 4

Thanks for posting those d_rawk. I might have to try one for breakfast. I always seem to order to benny no matter where I go for breakfast. SFD does it up the best though.

For super-indulgance, hard-to-finish-because-it's-too-rich, try the smoked salmon version.

I'm going for a snack.