Jambands.ca

New DTB CD "Soul Serenade" Coming Aug. 5th

Jaimoe

I just read this on Derek's website. I can't wait!

The Derek Trucks Band is proud to announce the long-awaited release of "Soul Serenade", an extraordinary album the band recorded in October 1999 and February 2000. The CD will hit stores on August 5. Despite the wait, the band feels it may be their strongest recording to date and still represents the spirit of the band in 2003. Drawing inspiration from unified mood masterpieces like "Kind of Blue" (Miles Davis), "Somethin' Else" (Cannonball Adderley), "What's Going On" (Marvin Gaye) and others, The Derek Trucks Band entered Dockside Studios in 1999, shortley after Kofi Burbridge became a permanent member, to begin work on "Soul Serenade". Derek commented on the session "We wanted to do an album that had a feel--just one feel--a mellow complete thought, the same vibe from start to finish. Everyone realized when we left the studio that this was definitely a unique studio experience. We caught the band on a good week...with everyone feeling good and playing good. I think that's the way it's supposed to happen."

Derek may be the most innovative young guitarist playing today. He's definitely the most innovative slide guitarist.

I think Warren and Greg let Derek steal the show in Toronto. Bless them for that. Not only is Derek a great musician, but he's also a good kid, and there's few and far between of them.

quote:

Originally posted by Booche:

I would think there is no denying " He's definitely the most innovative slide guitarist."

If there is, I want to hear that player.........

Have you ever heard Sonny Landreth? He can fret notes behind the slide, and then bend them, all the while playing notes with the slide.

I saw him open for Robben Ford (at Barrymore's, years ago), and was flat-out blown away.

(Not to take anything away from Derek Trucks, whose playing I admire a whole lot.)

Aloha,

Brad

Derek Trucks and the Derek Trucks Band are awesome. I remember seeing DTB at the Adirondack Mountain Music Festival and I was thoroughly impressed. The band would hit what I thought was the climax of a song, and then blow right through the climax to yet a higher level of intensity.

Did anyone see Sonny Landreth at this year's Ottawa Bluesfest? He was scheduled for Sat. July 5. I've never seen him but have a friend who thinks he's the sh*t!

Peace, Mark

Archived