Jambands.ca

Trey Plays with MMW at 10K

afro poppa

After the GRAB show at 10K (which John Medeski showed up to play Who Are You) MMW started on the stage right next to the main stage. For about 20 minutes MMW ripped it. All of a sudden, people start cheering as Trey Anastasio comes out and picks up his guitar!! The man played the rest of the show with MMW, a little over an hour of awsome jamming. If you guys get a chance, go out and download this set from 10K. I believe the date is Saturday July 22 (or whichever date the Saturday was).

I have a show of the Trey-meister raging with MMW in Albany some time back in the day. I have to say, I really like MMW more when they're playing as a back-up band for Scofield or Trey, or the likes. Don't get me wrong, MMW is their own monster and I love them for it, I just find them more together, maybe less abstract, when they have a guitarist on board.

They are a different band when they have a guitarist in the fold. They were definately not the backing band for Trey this night as John was still leading the band with his finger pointing and nodding. But Trey just added a new level to the jamming allowing it more room to breathe and grow.

I have seen/heard MMW play with a handful of different guitarists (Sco, Luther Dickinson, Oliver Wood, etc) but this was something special.

The Albany show I think you're mentioning was Trey and Marc Ribot - a serious serious player. Most interesting thing I've heard Ribot doing is the Spiritual Unity quartet which is voicings of the music of Albert Ayler (free jazz saxophonist - very iconic) through guitar.

my wet dream is MMW + Bill Frisell.

Really? I think that, rhythmically, Frisell is a much mellower (and more introspective) player than MMW, and I think that they wouldn't match up well. If MMW were to put on a downtempo jazzish show, then Frisell would be a good addition, but I don't think he has enough drive to really match up with MMW.

Now, MMW with Buckethead...

Aloha,

Brad