Jambands.ca

Dan Bern in Ottawa 9/9; Worth seeing?

bradm

I just noticed a listing for a Dan Bern concert in Ottawa, on Saturday, Sept. 9, at Barrymore's. Tickets are $20 in advance, with Ember Swift opening.

The bill is listed as "Dan Bern and IJBC", which I guess is his backing group when he's not using members of The Slip? I'm downloading his 2006 Ottawa Blues Fest show to hear what he sounds like (I've never listened to him before), but people's opinions as to whether this would be a show worth seeing or not would be welcome. (He's OK with taping, so if I went, I'd record it.)

Aloha,

Brad

Is this show with his electric band, The International Jewish Banking Conspiracy?

AHA! That's what the "and IJBC" means.

I'm listening to that Blues Fest show, and, well, some of it doesn't work well for me. His vocals are a bit annoying at times (almost sounding like someone doing a bad parody of Bob Dylan, or maybe Neil Innes' "Protest Song" from "The Secret Policeman's Ball"), and I don't find his lyrics that interesting, either. With a band (Andrew Barr and Marc Friedman for Blues Fest), it's a bit better, though.

I may make this show, or I may not; further opinions would be welcome.

Aloha,

Brad

Okay, Brad, before you decide not to go check out the following songs:

Krautmeyer

Marilyn Monroe

God Said No

Those are the first three I can think of, but I love this musician and there are many more. Definitely check out Krautmeyer, at least. (And if you go, tape it!)

I'm listening to that Blues Fest show, and, well, some of it doesn't work well for me. His vocals are a bit annoying at times (almost sounding like someone doing a bad parody of Bob Dylan, or maybe Neil Innes' "Protest Song" from "The Secret Policeman's Ball"), and I don't find his lyrics that interesting, either. With a band (Andrew Barr and Marc Friedman for Blues Fest), it's a bit better, though.

Yes on the Dylan thing. It's pretty blatant. Ripping off Dylan is almost its own singing style now. Saw Ridley Bent at the Folk Fest on Saturday and he had that Dylan twang too.

I remember the Bern song "Tiger Woods" having some pretty amusing lyrics.

I remember the Bern song "Tiger Woods" having some pretty amusing lyrics.

This is the part that had me LOL:

I got a friend whose goal in life

Was to one day go down on Madonna

That's all he wanted

That was all

To one day go down on Madonna

And when my friend was thirty-four

He got his wish in Rome one night

He got to go down on Madonna

In Rome one night in some hotel

And ever since he's been depressed

'Cause life is shit from here on in