Jambands.ca

Dickie Betts @ Windsor Bluesfest!

backbacon

Lasts night's Dickie Betts show was somthin else..!!!!!!!

deltails to follow.

kk

Dickie Betts and Great Southern

July 18th, 2003

International Bluesfest

Harbourfront - Windsor, ON

high falls (!)

franklins tease (extended)>

blue sky

come in to my kitchen

back where it all begins>

liz reed (w/ 3rd stone teases)

no one to run with

jessica (with Mountain Jam jam)

90 min

Yeah, Windsor..

Right outta the gate Dickie was on fire! The signature rolling thunder grumblings to start the show could only mean one thing - High Falls! We were situated about 10 feet from the stage and it was great seeing Dickie jam it out on guitar from so close.

Dickie was accompanied on stage by saxophone, guitar, two drummers, keys, and bass. Hearing the sax jamming with Dickie was quite nice.

The show was so high energy from start to finish. My feet never stopped moving for a second. Super solid workings of Betts classics that I've sure been missing at post-Dickie Allman Brothers Band shows. I would love to get a recording of a show from this tour if I can find one. I didn't see any tapers at the show on Friday.

Dickie looked at his watch in between every song... making sure that he was going to get in all the songs he wanted to play. His time was cut a little short because of a ton of sponsorship announcements before they went on. That was a little infortunate and had me believe that songs were not stretched out to the extent they would normally be. The drums section of Liz Reed went on only a couple of minutes before Dickie and the others came back on stage to conclude the song.

We caught some of 'Buckwheat Zydeco', who played before Dickie Betts and Great Southern. It was fun. They did a very nice reggae-ish version of 'Beast of Burden'.

Stu Dog took a pile of photos... look for them soon!

Glad to see Dickey made it over the border. I heard London was amazing too with super high energy for the short 75-minute time slot he was given. Apparently, the start was plagued with sound problems and Dickey's frustration was showing.

But ya gotta catch a full on Dickey Betts & Great Southern show though - the one Show-Whore and I caught in Buffalo back on June 18th was about 3 hours long, and yeah they really jam all those great Dickey tunes out given the opportunity. Dickey and "Dangerous" Dan Toler really smoke together - I guess they feed off each other.

Four years in a row I've seen Dickey in Buffalo, and every year is more and more solid and tight. [smile]

Ya just to confirm what fellow buddy bacon said, dickie was totally the man.. wicked tunes, yes, we certainly danced all night, smiled and yelled for more at the end.

we were about 10 feet from him, dickie played everything i wanted to hear, it was sweet.. dickie vs allmans ..

dickie for sure.

shot loads of pics -- here is a sample, what a sweet, sweet time..

your the man dickie .

-

agreed hes still got it.

saw the London show..

$30 a lil steep, especially considering the tech. problems and the shortness of the set.

But......................before the show I ate a nice chunk of butter(green)...so I was pretty fried at the show.

So when I heard "back where it all begins" come on I made my way to the very, very small crowd of semi dancers at the front of the venue by the stage.. When Dickies solo began I started movin and he sent me to that place. The place only a true professional jamband guitarist could send me.

That crack of light made the whole show worth it.

Brought back alot of memories of the mid nineties at a ABB show.

ABB just aint the same without my boy Dickie.

Archived