Jambands.ca

labour laws and coffee

YearsAlongTheSea

So, quick question. Anyone here know what constitutes a full shift where a half-hour lunch and 2 15 minute breaks are paid for. Basically, if I work 8 hours, what am I entitled to? Also, what is the minimum time-slot one can be scheduled for? Is a three hour shift legal or should I be payed for four hours? This is all hinging on a full-time, permanent position slinging coffee; just wanna make sure I'm not getting the shaft and I know what I'm talking about when I call my manager out on it. Thanks in advance.

I know in BC they changed the minimum time you have to be paid for in a shift from 4 to 2 hours.

Then again we also had the age at which one could work lowered to 12.

As for breaks I think if you work 8 hours on the clock you get the one 1/2 hour and the 2 15 min. If you work 8 hours total you only get the 1/2 hour, for which you clock out and 1 15min break.

What does the law say about coffee breaks?

An employee must not work for more than five hours in a row without getting a 30-minute eating period (meal break) free from work. The law does not require an employer to provide any breaks in addition to this eating period. However, if the employer does provide another type of a break, such as a coffee break, and the employee must remain at his or her workplace during the break, the employee must be paid at least the minimum wage for that time.