Jambands.ca

Clapton postpones tonight's concert due to sore throat

Kanada Kev

Damn! Oh well, why doesn't he just let Derek Trucks loose on stage all night????? Brilliance in the face of adversity:

Clapton postpones tonight's concert due to sore throat

ASSOCIATED PRESS

September 23, 2006

Eric Clapton’s concert scheduled for tonight at The Palace of Auburn Hills was postponed because the three-time Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee has a sore throat.

No additional shows on the North American tour, which kicked off last weekend, are affected at this time, tour publicist Kristen Foster said in an e-mail today. His next scheduled concert is Sunday in Toronto.

“He is indeed under the weather with a sore throat,†Foster said.

A rescheduled date for the show in suburban Detroit will be announced next week, The Palace said.

The 22-date tour of the U.S. and Canada includes stops in 20 cities, including two concerts Sept. 28-29 at Madison Square Garden. Clapton, 61, then travels for shows in Japan, New Zealand and Australia.

Copyright © 2006 Detroit Free Press Inc. :o

Edited by Guest

Oh no!! This is a downer. I'm supposed to be hitting him up in TO tonight. I hope he has had a remarkably fast recovery... not looking forward to sub-par.

Mind you, as you said a little more spotlight on Trucks couldn't hurt either...

So as of now, I'm assuming that the Toronto show is a go?

So as of now, I'm assuming that the Toronto show is a go?

I haven't heard otherwise. Def keep your ear to the ground. Listen to the radio (who's sponsoring/promoting this show?)

This might be a good link to refresh frequently:

http://news.google.ca/news?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&tab=wn&q=eric+clapton&btnG=Search+News

later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

So, the show went on ... how was it????

I so wish I could have made it, but it wasn't in the cards for me tonight. I've got a killer FM sbd of a Clapton show in Italy from this summer (with Derek Trucks) and it's really good ... much better than some of the stuff he's done lately IMHO (aside from Cream that is ).

Yeah the show was on, and it was great!

I saw Clapton back in 2001 and this show was ten times better! He was definitely energized and inspired to be playing with so many fantastic musicians.

I never would have known that he had had to cancel his last show. I thought overall his vocals sounded great, and the two female backup singers filled things out perfectly.

Derek Trucks is so bloody smooth. I couldn't get enough of him in the mix. No show-boaty stuff or nothing, he just straight up delivers the goods.

Robert Cray for an opener was such a tasty treat as well. He also got up to jam with Clapton and the boys both once during their set, and for the encore. My goodness, that man can sing. He's kind of got a bit of Marvin Gaye thing going on in my opinion.

And Eric, oh Eric... he was on his mark. After Midnight was definitely one of my many highlights.

Hey Schwa, did I see you groovin in fourth row? I was sitting in the nosebleeds, so I couldn't be sure.

Anyone else there? (Other than TimmyB of course)... thanks for the ride and company once again!

Thanks for the review. I was bummed i had to miss it. I've been lucky to see him a number of times already, but i knew this would be a special tour to see (Trucks and Cray element!)

If you're interested in a copy of the FM source Italian show from July (with the same lineup) let me know. I'll also try to find a torrent if one's still up.

Cray's been coming out to perform along on "Old Love".

Trivia note ... take a look at the liner notes on Journeyman ... you'll see that one of the engineers on that is none other than Rob Eaton (from the Dark Star Orchestra and Border Legion). You'll find his name on a bunch of Jimmy Buffet and Pat Metheney stuff too. Great guy.

Here's Canoe's review of the show:
The overall musicianship was stellar, with Clapton displaying an admirable tendency to let the other musicians in his band shine.

One nit-picky complaint, though: As good as the other two guitarists and the organist and the piano player were, there perhaps were a few too many extended solos by people who were not named Eric Clapton or Robert Cray.

Come on! At least mention Trucks' name. Give him credit. The reason Clapton hired him, and lets him play, is because of his TALENT. I'd love to have seen a show that was comprised completely of Clapton, Cray, and Trucks exchanging solos :)

I don't know why I read mainstream "reviews" they alway bug the shit out of me (and not in a laxative sorta way!)

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

np: "I waited for you" Miles Davis

Great minds think alike brother :D

Not to say the Clapton show was like this, but I think many of us in this community truly have an appreciation for the musical abilities and prowess of the players we see. It can be frustrating to watch players of this type being bound by the desire of the mainstream fans who simply want a regurgitation of the greatest hits collection :(

You know what i'm talkin' 'bout :)

Edited by Guest

None of the other musicians got mentioned though... I presume Clapton hired them for their talent as well.

My parents went to the show, they only know Clapton and Cray, and they came back and probably appreciated it just as much as the hardcore fans who were seeing Trucks at Alfie's back in the day.

So... I don't really have a concise point... But it's a response to something... I think.