Jambands.ca

Canadiens deal Ribeiro for Niinimaa

dave-O

Somewhere, Booche is sleeping soundly tonight.

MONTREAL - The Montreal Canadiens have acquired defenceman Janne Niinimaa and a fifth-round pick in 2007 from the Dallas Stars, in return for forward Mike Ribeiro and a sixth-round pick in 2008.

''In judging by our team needs, what we really need and where we are vulnerable, it responds with an experienced player,'' Canadiens GM Bob Gainey said. ''He can be a good, strong participant in that group and he can give us some added experience and added weight to our defence, as well as depth.''

Ribeiro said he was shocked by the move.

''I'm disappointed and sad at the same time,'' the Montreal native said. ''I didn't expect this now.

''There were rumours last year that I'd be traded, but I didn't think about it this year. I just concentrated on getting ready for the season. I guess Montreal wanted defence and Dallas wanted a centre. It's a great city for me. No winter. No snow. So I'll be happy.''

Ribeiro, 26, is coming off a disappointing 2005-2006 season, during which he scored 51 points and posted a minus-6 rating, down from the 65 points and plus-15 rating he had produced in 2003-2004.

The 6-foot, 177-pound centre was a second-round pick of the Canadiens in 1998 and has scored 153 points in 276 career games.

''Dallas has great players, a great team, and they'll be playing for the Stanley Cup,'' said Ribeiro. ''I always dreamed of winning a Stanley Cup here (in Montreal), the 25th, but I guess it won't happen.''

Niinimaa, 31, struggled last season, putting up 16 points and a minus-12 rating combined with the New York Islanders and Dallas Stars. Acquired in January for John Erskine, Niinimaa ended up being a healthy scratch at times late in the year.

''I know he had an ankle injury, but he had it fixed this summer,'' said Gainey, who was not concerned with Niinimaa's ice time.

Niinimaa will earn $2.508 million on the final year of his contract this season while Ribeiro is on a one-year deal worth $1.9 million.

The 6-foot-1, 220-pound Finnish blueliner has recorded 356 points and a plus-56 rating over a 10-year career with Philadelphia, Edmonton, the New York Islanders and Dallas.

YES!

The Habs blueline was very thin, this addresses the situation a touch and the Habs are still lacking quality centers but Ribeiro certainly wasnt going to help fill that need.

Good riddance you puke. He has to be one of the softest players in the game with a lacking in speed and no size.

....good....Looks alot better for the leafs

HPL_roflmao.jpg

Actually Jaimoe, I've often thought Ribs needs to play with slower/bigger players that like to snipe deep inside the slot. Ryder and he clicked for a while. Kovalev would have been a great target for him but the speed didnt match. I wouldnt be surprised if we see Lindros on the right wing with Ribs. Still, Eric is going to be pissed on many shifts:

"Where was the pass you fucker?"

Both teams got rid of guys they didn't want.

Ribeiro is one of the most frustrating players to watch, he just doesn't "want it". His demeanour reminds me of Alexandre Daigle. I've always wondered what the hell he's so smug about.

Reports out of Dallas camp were that Niinimaa wasn't going to make the team, too much depth on D. Dallas is taking a real gamble on guys that have never lived up to their potential this year - Lindros, Ribeiro, Patrik Stefan...

Guest Low Roller

Geez. I spend one night in Amsterdam and the Habs make a big move! Does this mean that Kostitsyn is back in, or will they still trade for a center?