Jambands.ca

Garaj Mahal New Years - Vancouver

djmelbatoast

Garaj at NYE has become a tradition for me, at this point.

I'll be thinking of you and the rest of the Westerners that night Melba.

You'll love it. (Have you not seen Garaj before? I'm guessing you must have?)

Oh, and for those who may not be in the loop, the NYE Garaj show is at The Fairview in Vancouver. (The date should be self-evident.)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about NYE in Victoria for Gratefully Deadicated.

Garaj is a 2 nighter, starting the night before.

I've never seen 'em and people always try to play me snippets to impress me (thanks keither) but it's usually the times that come AFTER the wow moment that go under the radar...and if those moments don't do it for me I don't want to turn into an irritated belligerant cunt.

Newly minted with some awards hardware, San Francisco's kings of the groove GARAJ MAHAL will be visiting Vancouver for a very special 2-night NEW YEARS EVE run at the intimate Fairview Pub (898 West Broadway) in LESS THAN 2 WEEKS!!!

Get your tickets while you still can, there are only 350 available each night and they are starting to move fast... $30 (Dec.30th - w. guests Brickhouse) & $55 (NYE - w. guests Todd Taylor Band) plus service charges available NOW at Zulu, Highlife, Neptoon, Beat Street & the Park Plaza Hotel.

Follow this link for ticket outlet addresses and further show details, or buy your tickets directly from our tickets page at www.bonfirepresents.com

It's gonna be a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Tell all your friends and let's show these guys that Vancity knows how to giv'er HARD!!!

Only 11 DAYS till we're shaking our collective booties like no other band makes us!!

Garaj Mahal

2007 Independent Music Awards Winner

Blueberry Cave is a winner in the 2007 Independent Music Awards, whose esteemed panel of judges include Peter Gabriel, Ozzy Osbourne, McCoy Tyner, Paul Oakenfold, Suzanne Vega, Cyndi Lauper, Marc Ribot, Buddy Guy, David Grisman, Bebel Gilberto, Bill Frisell, Rob Wasserman and FatBoy Slim. The album was selected as the Winner of the Album - Jam category from the largest number of entries the program has received to date, according to award organizers Music Resource Group.

Garaj Mahal will be featured in the 2007 Musician's Atlas and in the on-line Jukebox, their CDs will be available for sale at BordersStores.com, and their winning track, "The Shadow," will be featured on the compilation CD that will be distributed at SXSW and other major festivals.

When you hear your first Garaj Mahal note, leading into an innovative fusion of funky jazz with a tasty world music flare, all other thoughts leave your mind as the music takes you on an unforgettable voyage. Fans return to experience the band again and again because they know they will always hear something new and progressive from these four first-class musicians. Featuring guitar and sitar virtuoso Fareed Haque, world-renowned bass master and educator Kai Eckhardt, gospel-inspired funky jazz keyboardist Eric Levy, and consistently in-the-pocket, natural-born drummer Alan Hertz, Garaj Mahal combines a century of musical experience to create a sound that's always new, freshly infused with a wide spectrum of musical expression, and always smoking hot.

Touring extensively since their formation in 2000, Garaj Mahal continues to earn critical acclaim and a rowing fanbase thanks to their ability to deliver serious "shut-up-and-listen" grooves while simultaneously bringing the dance floor alive. Their collective musical experience allows them to constantly push the envelope of composition and improvisation. Garaj Mahal's sound – a convergence of jazz-style improvisation, mystical Middle-Eastern atmospheres, and danceable American funk - attracts music lovers from all parts of the spectrum and creates a profoundly unique experience.

Each band member dedicates every drop of his education, history, and life-long passion for music to their audience every time they step on stage. The band member's virtuosity is no surprise when you look at even a few of the amazing artists they've performed and/or recorded with over the years, including Dizzy Gillespie, John McLaughlin, Sting, Cassandra Wilson, Dave Holland, Bela Fleck, Chick Corea, Steve Smith, Zakir Hussain, Edgar Meyer, Les Claypool, Trey Anastasio, Umphrey's McGee, MMW, Steve Kimock, and Michael Manring.

Garaj Mahal will return to the studio in early 2007 to record their next album.

SWEET JAMMIN ACTION!!!

• 2 weeks later...

WOW!!

2 spectacular nights of Garaj Mahal action! The 30th they busted out a bunch of psychedelic-electro grooves... very heady night.

Last night... GM BROUGHT THE FUNK!!!! That was probably the best Garaj show I've ever seen... out of 30 shows or so?

I imagine the shows will be up on the archives fairly soon. Can't wait!

Wow ... what a fantastic band Garaj Mahal is! I was extremely impressed with the jaw-dropping musicianship displayed by all four members of the band, along with their ability to lay down a whole range of infectious grooves.

Garaj Mahal is definitely one of the best (jam)bands I have ever seen, and I hope that I get a chance to see this band again before too long.

It was a treat to spend a few days in Vancouver with my brother, and I enjoyed running into some friends that I know from Ontario including Canned Beats, Rabid Monkey, Jeffrey Kornblum and Greg Fisher.

Thanks to Keither and the Bonfire team for putting on these shows. The Fairview is a sweet small venue with great sound, and it was fun looking around and seeing a bunch of smiling faces that I haven't seen before. I hope to be able to make it to another show on the West Coast before too long, and would love to see Garaj Mahal in Southern Ontario!

The year 2007 is off to a mighty fine start!

Peace, Mark

There was audio & video Brad. Trevor Dubecki (Garaj Mahal's official audio recorder) was recording with 2 feeds... one from the board & one from the audience. He'll be mixing them down and mastering the recording before it gets released, and we've arranged to get copies.

They also had a high-def video camera shooting the NYE show and will be making an HD video out of that too.

Once we have all the materials we'll try to hook you East-coasters up, okay?

I think a couple of East-Coast promoters need to get together to bring GM up to Canada over there (Pepper Jacks, Rancho, Deckuf run?). Garaj Mahal LOVE Canada, and they're in the North East of the US fairly often, so it would be a hop, skip & a jump to head into Eastern Canada.

Jay? Shain? Craig? Get on it boyz!