Jambands.ca

New "Who" CD Endless Wire

Jaimoe

I just bought this album (along with MMJ's DVD Okonokos) and gave the first six songs a listen in the car. My initial impression is that "Endless Wire" sounds dated. The vocals are too high up in the mix and the album is too clean sounding. The songs are actually pretty Who-like, but the bass is understandably and noctiably down in the mix. Zak Starkey sounds like a polished Moon, which definately adds some fuel to the firey parts.

Pete sounds great however. His guitar crunches and his acoustic work (heard throughout) is fantastic. His vocals are strong too. I'll submit a real review soon, when I listen to the other part of the album - the 2nd half that's described as a "mini-opera".

I think if you are craving some glory days Who with a modern twist, Sweden's The Soundtrack Of Our Lives is where you should look before you pick up this watered-down effort.

Jaimoe - thanks for an honest review. It's so refreshing to read an honest assessment rather than "I love The Who and this is their first album in years and it's great becasue it's The Who!!!!!!!!!!!".

"I love The Slip and this is their first album in years and it's great becasue it's The Slip!!!!!!!!!!!"

;)

I haven't watched the DVD yet. The mini-opra songs are good, surprisingly. Roger's vocals have been set lower in the mix and the opera has more of a live feel. Zak Starkey is excellent throughout. He did learn drums from Moon and worshipped the Loon as a kid, so it's refreshing to hear Zak on record with Pete for the first time.

I agree with Chameleon that The Who should have packed it in, but not necessarily in the time-frame mentioned. They should have quit when Moon died, but since they didn't, then The Ox's foolish demise should have been their final death-nail.

I'm enjoying the album so far on my first listen. I must say, that the mini-opera tunes are much more of a standout than the rest so far. I'm finding it's coming across with much more of a Pete album than a Who album ... and that's not a bad thing, just different.

Later . . .

Kanada Kev =8)

np: Fragments of Fragments - Endless Wire/The Who

np: We Got a Hit <-- very catchy :)

I haven't watched the DVD yet. The mini-opra songs are good, surprisingly. Roger's vocals have been set lower in the mix and the opera has more of a live feel. Zak Starkey is excellent throughout. He did learn drums from Moon and worshipped the Loon as a kid, so it's refreshing to hear Zak on record with Pete for the first time.

I agree with Chameleon that The Who should have packed it in, but not necessarily in the time-frame mentioned. They should have quit when Moon died, but since they didn't, then The Ox's foolish demise should have been their final death-nail.

Agreed I was being generous. But the who without moon is like Zeppeling without Bonham...makes no sense.