Jambands.ca

Environmentally Responsible Car Ownership

\/\/illy

Does anyone know where to look for a list of bio-diesel refuelling stations in Southern Ontario? I'm curious about whether there is one in Hamilton.

I really like that a diesel vehicle could run on dino-diesel or biodiesel with no modifications necessary. I believe that diesel engines have a longer life expectancy too right? I think it's because they idle lower? Is noise still an issue with a diesel vehicle? (I'm getting really sick of the noisy cabin in my current vehicle - I'd love some piece and quiet.

Does anyone know a good site for reviewing cars?

Thanks for all the help!

unfortunately, intentions generally do not equal behaviours here. until hybrids or alternative fuel cars are more affordable, i wont buy one, as much as I'd like to. a couple of years ago, we looked at the toyota and honda alt-cars and they were about 30% more than the comparable regular engine models. so, as much as I'd like reduce my environmental footprint here, it's just not fiscally realistic yet, and I simply dont have an extra $8k to spend. :crazy: that said, we did make a point of getting a fuel efficient 4-cyl civic (which has turned out to be a bit of a lemon, and is why we will never buy another honda).

i don't know what jaimoe is getting at, but i'd say this:

smartcar.jpg

getting hit by this:

Big%20SUV.jpg

wouldn't make a pretty picture.

Chances are the person in the Smart car would walk away from it, even if the car would probably be a write off. With the full roll cage the Smart car is a very safe car to drive. Haven't you seen Nascar were they hit the wall head-on at insane speeds and walk-away in most cases? Same idea with the Smart car.

Jaimoe the Smart car handles fine on the highway, I have no idea what you are talking about. I've driven on the 400 series highways with one before and never had any problems.

There were two problems with it that I found:

1. The engine was a little on the loud side but I guess thats because it's a diesel engine.

and

2. The top of the line stereo system sucks!! Don't waste your money on it, I'd go out get something professionally installed after you bought it.

civic and lemon in the same sentence....

That seems odd...My last 2 cars have been civics and they are great!

I think hybrids are the way to go, but you have to be careful with SUV hybrids in start and stop traffic. You won't gain anything from the fuel efficiency.

Mind you...I'll stick with my standard gasoline Civic for the time being. It's just way to easy.

Since cars are not environmentally responsible, StoneMtn's original question falls into doubt. Smart Cars are not family cars, thus families buy them as a second car for the husband and/or wife to putt around town instead of taking mass transit. Single people are lured into buying them to putt around town instead of using mass transit.

Thank you Burnt. Those are some helpful comments.

From what I understand, the car is safe and handles well, but the two problems are that it is a bit loud and the stereo isn't so great so ... solution ...

buy a kick-ass after-market stereo and crank it up so that it's louder than the engine, and that should take care of both problems. ;)

I'm quite certain I'm buying one of these, very soon.

This place manufactures bio-diesel:

Rothsay, A Division of Maple Leaf Foods

880 Highway #5 West

PO Box 8270

Dundas ON L9H 5G1

Tel: (905) 628-2258

http://www.rothsaybiodiesel.ca/en/

But on thier contact us page it says:

Please note that at this current time, we do not sell biodiesel on a retail scale. Kindly contact your local gasoline outlet for small orders.

Canada 411 didn't help much.

This place might sell it:

Sylvite Agri-Services Ltd

Pier 12 Hamilton, ON (905)540-1164 ?

This site may help?

http://www.greenfuels.org/biodiesel/suppliers.htm