The Chameleon

061121_okur_garbajosa_300.jpg

Jazz 101, Raptors 96

Losing streak hits six as road trip mercifully ends

Boozer finishes with season-high 35 points for Jazz

Nov. 21, 2006. 06:11 AM

DOUG SMITH

SPORTS REPORTER

SALT LAKE CITY, UTAH—A team can want to win too badly, want to make great plays when smart ones will do, as the Raptors proved all too well here last night.

They were in rare command of a game, up six after three quarters, playing as well as perhaps they possibly can and it was time to finally close out a win, time to make smart basketball plays.

In the light of day after another one got away from them, the Raptors can only point the finger of blame at themselves.

"We probably panicked a little bit when they started making their run," said Chris Bosh after a 101-96 loss to the Utah Jazz that was Toronto's sixth in a row.

"This is the NBA, we have to be aware that the home team is going to make a run but it's about us continuing to take good shots and trying to get to the free throw line and down the stretch we had some points where we could have played a little better team ball."

Those fourth-quarter errors — rushed shots on offence, missed assignments on defence — are typical of what's gone on with the team so far this season but atypical of what had been happening last night.

They had defended and shot wisely, played at a good tempo instead of helter-skelter and were seemingly in control of the game. But allowing the Jazz to go on a 20-8 run to start the quarter got them into a hole they couldn't escape from. Not surprisingly, it was missed three-pointers that robbed them of a chance to win or at least send the game to overtime.

Down three with less than 10 seconds to go, T.J. Ford missed a three and after the team got a rare offensive rebound, Fred Jones missed from long range as the Jazz ran out the win at the free throw line.

Toss in another miss by Jorge Garbajosa about a minute earlier and there were three shots that would have made a difference.

"T.J. got a three, Garbo got a very good look and Freddy got a good look," said coach Sam Mitchell. "I don't think out of a timeout we could have got a better look than we got."

The tough loss ends a bad five-game road trip for Toronto, which limps home 2-8 on the season. They have to face LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers tomorrow night.

"We have a couple games at home (tomorrow against Cleveland, Sunday against Indiana), we just have to take advantage of those and let them build up some momentum for us," said Chris Bosh.

"All these games upcoming are winnable games,'' Bosh added.

Carlos Boozer was practically unstoppable, the kind of strong, agile big man the Raptors simply can't defend against as he finished with a season-high 35 points on 14-of-16 shooting from the field.

He also had nine boards as Utah hammered Toronto 51-36 on the glass, including 15 offensive rebounds.

"We knew it was coming and we talked about it and we told the guys, sometimes if you've got a tough match up you have to take it upon yourself to say, "I'm not going to get the rebound but I'm not going to let this guy get it.'"

Rookie Andrea Bargnani, meanwhile, had by far his best game of the season, scoring 15 points and grabbing three rebounds in a season-high 27 minutes.

The 7-footer looked far more comfortable as his minutes grew and the fact he remained out of quick foul trouble was a huge plus.

He did commit four personals but he was able to get in the flow of the game before the foul trouble started piling up; the more he got in the game, the better he played.

"I'm sure that happened and then he was able to get a couple of good looks," said Mitchell.

"A couple of times when we were able to get him open he pump faked and drove to the basket and got to the free throw line and any time you get to the free throw line a couple of times that gets you going."

I think they did draft Bargnani as a project. They are barely giving him any playing time. He is only averaging 11 minutes per game which is 19th among rookies. He is however 11th in scoring and 15th in rebounds. With more time he should have better numbers (obviously). Morrison is averaging 35.3 minutes per game.

I guess we'll know if the GM considers Bargani a project and what he really thought the Raps chances were by how he handles Mitchell. If Mitchell stays it's likely he expected the troubles of a young team. If Mitchell goes it's likely her expected more.

If Bargnani was drafted as a project, then let's hope he'll develop faster than other projects of recent drafts. The last thing the Raps need is a slow developing young player. They need help right now. It's too bad that Bargnani hasn't improved much from summer league. His defense is brutal and Mitchell is concerned that he only knows how to shoot - he rarely passes.

The Raptors as a team are a project. With so many new players and so many young players the team is a project. Bargnani will get better. Garbajosa will get better. Calderon will continue to improve. They have a solid nucleus of a big man and a point guard.

The Raps will get better this year, although get used to these 6 game losing streaks. Remember though, look at the teams the Raps have played and lost to: Spurs, Jazz, Hawks, Lakers, Kings, Nets etc...These are not bad teams that we are supposed to beat. These are playoff bound teams (yea the Hawks are playoff bound) who are cohesive and know how to win. We will lose our fair share of terrible games (hence last night) but the fact that we were even doing well at one point should be reason for optimism. Anyone who sincerely thought the Raptors were gonna easily get a playoff spot this year were kidding themselves.

Bargnani will continue to improve. When he gets as good as he can be, look out.

Bargnani will continue to improve. When he gets as good as he can be' date=' look out.[/quote']

Let's hope that when he does, he doesn't bolt town like McGrady. Projects when they finally reach their potential with their drafted team often leave.

Waht you have described good sir is the curse of Toronto....

Can anyone say R-E-B-U-I-L-D!

It seems we are like a farm team with NBA uniforms and stadium. Soemtimes it feels like we simply develope talent so they can leave or be trded away for nothing.

Aint nuthin done changed!

Edited by Guest

Bargnani will continue to improve. When he gets as good as he can be' date=' look out.[/quote']

Let's hope that when he does, he doesn't bolt town like McGrady. Projects when they finally reach their potential with their drafted team often leave.

Waht you have described good sir is the curse of Toronto....

Can anyone say R-E-B-U-I-L-D!

It seems we are like a farm team with NBA uniforms and stadium. Soemtimes it feels like we simply develope talent so they can leave or be trded away for nothing.

Aint nuthin done changed!

I dont think the franchise has been around long enough for us to say that we are cursed. We've made the playoffs in 3 out of 11 years...not too shabby. The only players I can think of that wanted out were T-Mac, Vince and Damon...T-Mac and Vince leaving had nothing to do with the city, but the circumstances (Mac didn't wanna be second fiddle and Vince was a loser :) )