Jambands.ca

PVR questions

phunkyb

I have a digital personal video recorder box. I rent it from cogeco and it gives me the ability to records, pause and fast forward live TV.

My question is; is there a way to take the shows I have recorded and transfer them onto my laptop to burn them onto a DVD. I have an svideo cable and usb cable connection on the box.

It is a Motorola box, anyone else have one of these or know how to do this?

Technically you could 'play' a show back while you have your video card hooked to the outputs on the PVR and re-record the show. As far as just being able to copy the files off the HDD and redistribute or archive them, I believe they have specifically designed the device to prevent that. I use a Windows Media Centre PC to accomplish the same thing and it keeps things in nice files that I can move around or watch on other machines with the correct CODECs installed. Unfortunately it doesn't access my 'digital' cable without a kludgy 'USB based IR transmitter stuck to the IR receiver' solution that just isn't practical in my setup. I do however, expect to see video cards that are capable or reveiving digital and HD signals in the near future.

The 'media centre' functionality is going to be included with some, if not all, versions of Vista from what I understand.