Jambands.ca

before the music dies

Deeps

Just watched the trailer. This could be interesting, or it could be a collection of musicians who actually do quite well for themselves lamenting that things aren't the same as they used to be, to what end I don't know. Even the title of the film is a bit sensationalistic. Music isn't dying, I see fresh new artists doing their thing everywhere and garnering some support for it too.

Branford Marsalis can go on and on about how the labels wouldn't sign Stevie Wonder if he was a new artist today. But he's stuck in the past with that logic. In the internet age, with all the DIY resources available to the common person, getting that record deal can be more of a hindrance than a blessing these days. So the new Stevie has to work with new models.

And disposable pop music has always been designed for teenagers since the 1950's. The fact that a girl on the street doesn't know or care much about Bob Dylan tells me more that nothing has changed, not that we're on the cusp of The Death Of Music.

By the way, Dylan's last album debuted at #1 on Billboard.

Me thinks perhaps they dost protest too much.

I suppose it never hurts to raise the discussion, but I agree with Marco. If you think music is dead (or dying) then you're looking in the wrong places.

Also to try and convince someone that they should be listening to one kind of music as opposed to another is generally an exercise in futility and always has been.

There was a really good review of this film in the New York Times, a black woman writer who normally does hip hop. She nailed the issues, interviews Doyle III I think too. Or talks about his part in the movie. I think her names is like Keffah Senna or some shit.

• 2 weeks later...

If we're talking about commercialized music, the greats definitely had more of a shot at it years gone by.

This is a documentary aimed at the masses, not people that actually follow subversive artists (and know how much the music industry continues to make for itself with or without radio and television).

Looks like it's going to raise a bunch of eyebrows.