Jambands.ca

Sassafraz on fire

AD

Famed Yorkville hangout ablaze

Five-alarm fire draws 40-plus fire trucks to downtown Toronto to fight fire at Sassafraz

Dec. 13, 2006. 01:37 PM

JOANNA SMITH

STAFF REPORTER

Over 40 fire trucks are on the scene as firefighters battle a five-alarm blaze at Sassafraz Café, an upscale restaurant in the heart of Yorkville known as a celebrity hangout.

"We don’t know where it started yet, but the whole place is burning down," said Toronto police Staff Sgt. Lou Villani.

Fire broke out in the downtown restaurant around 11:30 a.m. and grew quickly, sending thick grey smoke billowing up from the trendy neighbourhood.

Firefighters could be heard on scanners urging each other to be careful as the roof was ready to collapse.

A Toronto Ambulance official said paramedics treated a couple of people for minor injuries but no one has been transported to hospital.

The Sassafraz, located at 100 Cumberland St., is one of the places to go stargazing during the Toronto International Film Festival as well as year-round.

“It’s not known for the food. It’s known for its scene,†said Toronto Star restaurant critic Amy Pataki.

The scene really heats up during the film festival.

Industry executives and big-name actors flock to the upscale restaurant with the large wrap-around patio because it’s so close to all the screenings.

The fans follow.

“Celebrity watchers eat out on the patio, hoping they’ll catch a glimpse of their favourite star,†Pataki said.

According to Sassafraz’s website, Mick Jagger, Robert De Niro, Renée Zellweger, U2, Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen and Queen Latifah have all been spotted there.

They should have had fire reatarted hood thingys that drop dry chemical over the stoves and there soposed to be checked on a regular basis. Its ok tho Im sure that the Place will be Bigger and Better, And alot more Fire proof when she gets Rebuilt. I think sassafras is Quite flamable though so mabe The place just when up like a house made of tooth picks. Im sorry to hear about a loss. Iv been thru on my self.

Yea from what i hear the food was pretty cardboardish. Known for Its scene, Not its food..Hhehee Im sure that place had pretty cool looking walls...I actually saw a comercial for the resterant about 2 weeks ago. The comercial was Really ...... I don't know what the word for it would be I wish i knew the word for it. Kinda bland but still had some kinda elegance. What ever... I wonder how many places catch fire in toronto a day. What really bothers me is when ppl cant affor insurance cuz the cost is so High and the loose everything they own. Including priceless photographs of friends and family and even Baby pictures.

what really bothers me is that people can 'afford' to buy a house yet not bother to buy insurance to protect said house.

insurance is just as important as the walls, in my book.

but i don't want to preach, i've never owned anything more expensive than a car, and even insurance on that is ridiculous.

AD