Jambands.ca

Anyone seen Akron/Family?

Hartamophone

Hey. Anyone checked these guys out? They're playing Victoria tonight and I think it might be just what the doctor ordered before the last two days of exams. Looks like they're kinda folky psychadelic gospel pop, and a lot of people have used the term "uplifting". Any advice is appreciated (a few PTers gave big thumbs up).

Peace.

So I went, and while it was not unenjoyable, I'd have to file it in the disappointing category.

They arrived late (their van broke down) so I think it took them a little while to get into the spirit of the show. Some of the songs were uplifting, but many of them just didn't go anyhere, and the "audience participation" was minimal. It didn't help that the sound was awful and the venue wasn't highly conducive to that type of show. I appreciate people's input from yesterday, and would give these guys another chance, if they came through again, but all in all it was not a stand-out show.

Sorry to have led you astray. The guy that promoted their shows out East told me they were wildly inconsistent, but the hits far outnumbered the misses.

No need to appologize, you provided me with a straight-up review of one show. Also, I love George's so your review was fun to read.

They did say last night that they were trying out a bunch of new stuff, which I think might have contributed to the show not really taking off. When a band takes risks like they do, they're bound to have some off nights. Meh.

Also, I love George's so your review was fun to read.

Off topic, but you'll be happy to hear that a Mt. A kid is doing a killer job booking George's right now. The shows we get in Moncton pale in comparison. I'd be out there nearly every weekend if I had a willing travel companion.

Also' date=' I love George's so your review was fun to read.

[/quote']

Off topic, but you'll be happy to hear that a Mt. A kid is doing a killer job booking George's right now. The shows we get in Moncton pale in comparison. I'd be out there nearly every weekend if I had a willing travel companion.

That is great to hear. Cynthia Loiselle did a great job a few years ago of getting quality music in there pretty much weekly, and it looks like that's continued. It's such a random spot out by the train station - I feel like that really adds to the experience of seeing shows there, and I know that performs often comment on the novelty of playing at a true "roadhouse". I miss that lonely walk down Lorne St. to George's on blustery Sackville evenings. (Single tear).