Jambands.ca

Quebec City Recommendations

Paan

I am thinking of surpising the wife with a little long weekend away in the February timeframe to Quebec City, but I really don't know the city at all, and of course there is information overload on the internet.

Can anybody recommend some hotels/Inns/bed & breakfasts, and in which areas.

Not really looking for skiing. More interested in hiking/snow shoeing, and fine dining. An area good for live music is definitely a bonus.

Merci.

Saw this thread a few days ago, but couldn't post at work. Just wanted to throw in (and please forgive any Quebecois spelling errors) that the last couple of times I went to Quebec City, I stayed at a little old victorian mansion (overlooking the Parc du Gouvernors, the Chateau Frontenac, and the Dufferin Terrace) called the Chateau Fleur de Lys. On the street right behind was also a fortress, the name of which escapes me. It was a very quaint little romantic place, and reasonably priced, as the first time I went, our bathroom was outside the room across the hall. I don't think we shared it though. I also loved the fact that they had solid wood shutters on the windows so that you could block out all intrusive early morning sunshine if you were up late the night before (which we were). I came upon the phone number recently, but then I lost it again. Anyway, the place was inside the walled city of Old Quebec, but overlooking Lower Quebec. Just down the street was an amazing traditional Quebecois restaurant called L'Ancienne Canadienne, which had the hugest portions. With the doggie bag, our brunch, A La Carte was enough for the day...but I avoided the rabbit stew (another tradition). We also enjoyed a restaurant called La Couchon Dingue (The Silly Pig) which was in Lower Quebec by the St. Lawrence River. I adore QC and I was always charmed by how hard the French-speaking people in Quebec would try to accommodate us non-bilinguals. One very sweet host when asked what the soup du jour was replied "oh madam, that is the soup of the day"...and he was in no way making fun of me, I swear. As for live music, don't know. First time, we lined up forever to get into the Bulldog...mistake. We got to the entrance and the bouncer told us we couldn't come in with Sorels on because they took up too much room. On the second trip, we went for I think the first jazz festival there. They had four stages set up around town, but all the music played at the same time. So, that's my story :)