Jambands.ca

Apostle of Hustle - residency at The Rivoli

DevO

What a show. Totally exceeded my expectations. Last time I saw them at the bluesfest in 2005 they had 3 members with a horn player for some songs. Now they have 5 members, including a multi-instrumentalist and percusionist. Also, the horn player again played on a few songs.

cheers,

Jake

I'd have to say I was underwhelmed-to say the least.The cover of Sarah Harmer's Coffee Stain made me want to gouge my eyes out.Moments of brilliance shot to hell by lack of cohesion.Talking with the bass player at break yielded the info that they hadn't actually played together in more than a year and a half and he was feeling the lack of connection.Sound was off in the beginning too.

I was really disappointed-I used to love this band!

The Besnard Lakes were good though-lots of energy and enthusiasm.

I rarely leave a show but I left this one.Somehow ended up the recipient of an almost private Crazy Strings set-me, my friend and Cosmic Steve were the audience(yeesh-wednesdays!)

Couldn't tell you about the new album-they did have alot of merchandise though-I just didn't go near it.It was full(sold out) but didn't seem "packed".Maybe thats because Torontonians don't actually move their bodies at shows.Maybe they weren't even real people-just uber cool, metrosexual black and fox fur hooded parka mannequins.

My friend had a theory that the majority of people were not even music lovers-they were label junkies(Arts and Crafts is Apostles label isn't it?)

I just wanted to make sure Dirtybird that you were talking about how Apostle of Hustle was underwhelming and the bass player rather confirmed he felt disconnected as well?

Also what ever you were saying about black fox fur and label junkies rang true.

I'm curious if people think that the 31st will sell out?