Jambands.ca

Stevie Ray Vaughan - Montreal 1984

Kanada Kev

WOW! What a show! Anyone here go to this one? SRV is one performer I really really really wish I had gone to see (and I had the opportunity).

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/concertdetail.aspx?id=20050309|6807

6807.jpg

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Spectrum

Montreal, Quebec

08/17/1984

Early Show

Tracks: 13

Total Time: 1:22:08

Scuttle Buttin'3:07

Testify3:44

Voodoo Chile (Incomplete)12:17

The Things (That) I Used To Do6:13

Couldn't Stand The Weather5:10

Cold Shot4:35

Pride And Joy5:06

Tin Pan Alley12:35

Love Struck Baby3:06

Texas Flood9:49

Band Introduction2:52

Lenny8:26

Rude Mood5:08

Stevie Ray Vaughan - guitar, vocals

Chris Layton - drums

Tommy Shannon - bass

When it comes to playing hard drivin’ blues rock, Stevie Ray Vaughan certainly took the torch as it was handed off by the late Jimi Hendrix, and he ran with it. It is obvious that Hendrix was a massive influence (Stevie even had one of Jimi’s Stratocasters, which he got from the late guitar god shortly before his death), and while it is a sad coincidence that Vaughan also lived hard and died young, at this performance he offers a different slant on the Hendrix staple, “Voodoo Chile.†However it is certainly clear that the spirit of Jimi was flowing through his nimble fingers as Vaughan played.

This show, taped in Montreal, Canada while he was promoting his first national release, Texas Flood, captured Vaughan at his creative peak. Recorded originally for the King Biscuit Flower Hour, this extensive live show features most of the material that he would be best known for, including “Scuttle Buttin’,†“Testify,†“Cold Shot,†“Pride And Joy†and the gritty slow blues, “Texas Flood.†Just listen to the smokin’ hot slow blues of “Tin Pan Alley.†Vaughan is playing as if his life depended on it.

Credit must also go to his band, Double Trouble. The ultra tight rhythm section of drummer Chris Layton and bassist “Uncle†Tommy Shannon (ex-Johnny Winter’s original group) provide the perfect backdrop to Vaughan’s soaring lead guitar licks.

Stevie Ray Vaughan never played a song the same way twice, which contributes to the importance of his live recordings. They bring us yet another interpretation of this classic blues material. Sadly, in a matter of a few years, Vaughan would be dead from a helicopter crash that occurred an hour after he performed at a Wisconsin blues festival with his close friends, Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt, Robert Cray and Buddy Guy. His legacy, however, remains very much alive in recordings such as this one.

He sure did live hard and die young, but he put his hard living days well behind him during the time of his death. Unlike Jimi, Stevie never really played outside of the blues, in particular Texas blues. Even his solos on Bowie's Let's Dance album are blues to the core... and awesome. I cried when he died.

I read one article that said that hearing Vaughan made you realize just how close Jimi Hendrix was to the blues.

My first rock'n'roll show: Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, March, 1985, "Couldn't Stand The Weather Tour," at Massey Hall. I had an 8th row, floor ticket. :)

Aloha,

Brad

I read one article that said that hearing Vaughan made you realize just how close Jimi Hendrix was to the blues.

My first rock'n'roll show: Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble, March, 1985, "Couldn't Stand The Weather Tour," at Massey Hall. I had an 8th row, floor ticket. :)

Aloha,

Brad

Fuck the first paragraph (not directed at you Brad). Jimi wasn't close to the blues, he WAS the blues. Jimi was the bridge between rock and the blues.

And I hate you after reading your second paragraph... hate with green envy.

Anybody ever have the chance to check out that ElMo show on dvd ?? 83 i think it was..

Man that guy had HUGE hands..

Learning some of his stuff took me to the next level..for sure..

I work for CHUM and the El Mo was shot by former and current co-workers of mine. The people that worked on the gig didn't really know Stevie and had no idea about his reputation. The show was basically shot by fluke.

Anybody ever have the chance to check out that ElMo show on dvd ?? 83 i think it was..

absolutley killer stuff! I first seen this movie in early teens because my dad was huge on him. He came home one day with this on VHS at the time. And put this on and said "look at these guys...........ya gotta learn how to play like these guys" Still blows me away to this day to watch this video!