Jambands.ca

Blue Jays Broadcast News

Jaimoe

This is good news for a change broadcast-wise. If only they could replace Jamie Campbell as well...

From today's Globe & Mail:

Ashby returns to Jays' booth

WILLIAM HOUSTON

It's an old name, but a new voice.

And Alan Ashby, when he sets up in the Toronto Blue Jays' radio booth for the 2007 season, will represent a significant upgrade.

Ashby, an original Jay, will work as an analyst and sometime play-by-play voice with Jerry Howarth, replacing Warren Sawkiw, whose contract was not renewed.

He signed a three-year deal believed to be worth about $300,000 a year. Ashby, who played most of his career with the Houston Astros, worked as an analyst on KTRH (740 AM) in Houston for eight years.

However, he lost his job at the end of the 2005 season in a decision that was never explained. When veteran Astros announcer Milo Hamilton opted out of doing games on the road, Ashby applied for the away play-by-play job. Two minor-league broadcasters were hired instead, and Ashby was subsequently let go.

At the time, David Barron of the Houston Chronicle, wrote, "While its shock value doesn't rival the dismissal of original play-by-play voice Gene Elston after the 1986 season, Ashby's departure does represent a wrenching blow for fans."

Several expressed their dismay in letters to the Chronicle.

For his part, Ashby sensed the Astros objected to his criticism of the team.

"Some pointed to the fact that I was, in their opinion, very honest with what went on in the field," he said yesterday.

"They felt they could believe what I was saying. And I depicted things that I felt were the result of a failure to hustle. That's the biggest one that comes up, because everyone makes an error.

"I'm honest. I try to paint the game as honestly, as fair and accurately as possible."

The Jays' flagship station, The Fan 590 in Toronto, pursued Ashby at the end of the 2006 season, said Nelson Millman, the station's general manager.

"It was an opportunity to go with a little bit more of a traditional broadcast booth," he said. "Alan is obviously an original Blue Jay, which wasn't one of the criteria, but obviously something you look at.

"He has history in the marketplace, years of major-league experience and also broadcasting experience."

Ashby, a catcher, played major-league baseball for 17 years, 11 of them with Houston and 1½ with the Jays.

The 55-year-old is enthusiastic about his new job.

"It's a golden opportunity," he said.

"I don't know that I ever imagined that I'd leave the Astros. So, to have this come along is just a real special opportunity."

Millman was gracious in explaining his decision not to retain Sawkiw.

"I think Warren is a great guy who did an exemplary job in tough circumstances," he said. "But this was an opportunity to make the fit a little bit better in terms of the experience level."

Sawkiw, a fringe minor-leaguer, was hired in April of 2005 while veteran Jays voice Tom Cheek was battling cancer. Over two years, Sawkiw's work did not appear to improve. He didn't do play-by-play and contributed a small amount of analysis.

Sawkiw could not be reached for comment.

Last season, Ashby worked on a baseball radio show in Houston and did some television.

What does he think of the Jays?

"I think they're talented," he said. "And when you add Frank Thomas to a team that surged late last year, I think they have a chance.

"Obviously, a lot depends on the pitching and health of the pitchers. Bottom line, they play in a division with the Yankees and Red Sox."

Millman said reporter Mike Wilner will return to the Jays' radio broadcasts.

Sawkiw, a fringe minor-leaguer, was hired in April of 2005 while veteran Jays voice Tom Cheek was battling cancer. Over two years, Sawkiw's work did not appear to improve. He didn't do play-by-play and contributed a small amount of analysis.

Thank God! I never liked Sawkiw, but I never expected the fan to know better.

As for Jamie Campbell, hes not that bad.

Mike Wilner bothers me though, hes allways making outlandish predictions and talks down to all his callers. Ive learned over the course of last season that what ever Wilner calls, bet against it, you'll win.

I like Wilner. I listen to his post game shows and there's a good reason for the way he talks to some of his callers. They are almost as informed and idiotic as Leaf fans.

Jamie Campbell is the worst play-by-play announcer in baseball. He is getting slightly better, but listen to other telecasts in other cities for proof of his shoddy work. Do it. C'mon.

Last year Wilner talked down to every caller that said Russ Adams sucked. That alone is enough to call him a twit.

Im still on the fence with Campbell, as theres no way he compares to the Sunday night team, but I dont find him annoying...yet.

Sportsnet Connected is a joke.

Jamie Campbell, aka Johnny Whitaker, sucks bad. How many times did you hear him make this call(?) : "That ball was crushed". The ball most of the time would be a shallow pop-fly. The guy prattles on about nothing. He and Tabler are brutal together. They make Rod Black look good.

Wilner is bang-on with his assessment of the Jays pitching staff, in particular Burnett.

johnny_whitaker_picture03.jpg

Edited by Guest

Its not that Wilner is an idiot, he actually knows some stuff, its just the way he comes accross - hes a know it all. Sometimes some callers have some good points and he responds to them like their imbiciles.

Its like hes all high and mighty cuz he landed the Jays talk gig. Thats why I've started to notice how wrong he is, especially in his predictions, he's a pompuos ass who thinks he knows everything. But then, again, I probably come across the same way myself at times.

I agree with some of your points. The thing is, I'm tired of Jays appologists. Wilner acts more as a counter-balance to the rest of the Jays on-air crews - they often make my skin crawl. Wilner is pompous, but man, those post-game shows must be taxing for any host. I do like Jerry and I'm looking forward to hear Ashby's spin on the team this year. No wonder Bobcat shoots down so many callers on Prime Time Sports, even though he has a pretty good producer/screener.

Fair enough. And I love the way Bobcat deals with his callers. Especially Leaf fans. Infact, his whole take on the Leafs is hillarious (yet true).

Bob has his faults: pompous, self-rightous, know-it-all, sexist, pro-gambling and from what my friends at TSN who worked with him told me, a mean lazy ass. I still find his show a must listen on a daily basis. He knows the sports business inside and out and will generate interesting debates on an hourly basis.

Really then, the bottom line is that most sports media personalities are annoying. Why I keep listening, I dont know. Howard Berger? Doofus. Bill Waters? I could write a book.

Ahhh...ya know what show I do like? They keep it fun and get the athletes talking like real people - Best Damn Sports show. I dont watch it all the time, but when I do, its great. A couple of weeks ago they had Keyshon Johnson and Michael Strachan on and it was awesome. They showed clips of Johnson crying and Strachan just howled and made fun of him. Thats the stuff Im talkin about!