Jambands.ca

Tech Help Needed!

Freeker

Just formatted my PC and installed Win2000 Pro, finally ending the reign of XP terror. All went well with the format and installation. Began to load progs and apps back on to C: all was well, then I did an update from Windows, changed the power settings and scemes (to get rid of standby and shit) and installed MSN messenger, then rebooted. Windows loads to the Win2000 screen, then kicks to a blue screen with a paragraph of writing on it (moves to quick to read, isn't your typical blue screen of death)then it shuts itself off or reboots. Attempts at fixing the prob in safe mode didn't work as the screen comes up before I can get into safe mode and it shuts down again, ditto for restoring to a previous working config. I REALLY want to avoid formatting again, any suggestions from the tech heady crew out there?

Guest Low Roller

Suggestion: you're fucked.

Solution: If you have a recovery disc ready, then get into your bios on startup, set the computer to load off the disc, and reboot.

Solution 2: Set which drivers run on startup until by trial and error you figure out which causes the crash. I forget how though.

Solution 3: Grab a sledgehammer. Give'er.

I had a problem like that which was related to something that I cannot remember, but the symptom was the same.

A blue screen flashed up only for a brief time and I couldn't tell what it said. So I turned off the lights in my computer room, and setup my digital camera and opened the shutter when that screen was about to happen.

I took the image down to our other pc and looked at it to get the message. I was able to solve the problem after putting the message into Google Groups.. I think the problem had something to do with my registry being corrupted and I just said SCREW it, and bought a new hard drive (I was due for one) and reinstalled everything.

Also, I've had very little problems with Win XP.

The least problems than any other OS up to this point. I'm patched up to SP1 with all the latest fixes. I'm playing games flawlessly, developing a really cool music related website, doing graphics, playing music...all that stuff with no problems.

My only problem I see is if I upgrade my mobo and chip, I worry that I may have an XP-key issue.

What was wrong with XP? It's by far the most stable OS microsoft has ever put out. Once you turn off all the flashy shit and tweak it a bit it's rock solid-neither of my boxes has had a problem... And really it's just a 'correct' version of win2000/NT with a stoopid interface.

www.tweakxp.com is a handy reference, but i've got a solid list of things to turn off to make XP look and act just like 2000....

Also if you are using FLAC - Windows 2000 has a known kernel error that truncates all 24-bit audio data...a big reason why no audio people use it.

Soooo the big question is - is this a legit copy of XP or 2000? if not then you can't update via their website and have to use one of those pirated 'service pack' disks I see floating around...stay away! (eh MK??)

Things to look out for:

What's your Motherboard? does it have onboard audio/video/modem/networking? if so when installing disable all but the video and LAN.

If you have PCI cards like audio etc, remove them when installing and install them one at a time after windoze is in...

Also in BIOS:

disable any unused ports(serial, parallel, usb) to free up resources.

Make sure plug and play OS says 'YES'

Lots of computers have problems with ACPI -a good trick i've learned is enable it in the BIOS and when installing XP/2000, when it says to press F6 to install SCSI/other devices, instead press F7 a couple times and this will install without ACPI support...

If it has a VIA chipset(north/southbridge) then you need to install the 4in1 drivers.

hmm that's all I can think of now...

Well I managed to get the XP booter disks to work, just finished loading them, after the last boot disk, computer freezes at a blue screen that reads

"STOP: C0000221 UNKNOWN HARD ERROR \systemroot\system32\ntdll.dll"

WTF!?!?!?!?!! Can I really be having hard drive errors, how do i fix this? I was formatting cause I was full of trojans, is it possible somone left a malicious disk destroying virus on my system if i attempted to format????? HAAAAAAALLLPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

ah google to the rescue.....it's a well documented problem, check out this:

http://www.computing.net/windows2003/wwwboard/forum/151.html

http://www.freelists.org/archives/pctechtalk/07-2003/msg00149.html

seems like corrupted install disks, mis-matched memory SIMMS or your HD controller are to blame...might have to change UDMA/PIO settings in BIOS...

here's one way of fixing it:

http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/132366.html

Thanks for all the help everyone, much appreciated. Guess i'll stick with 98 for now, at least until I burn off everything and format the whole thing and re-partition. Mike I may take you up on that offer of Ex Pee at that time. Once again thanks for the help gang.

Archived