Jambands.ca

Chez Piggy's Leek and Stilton soup

Davey Boy 2.0

ooohhhhhh mmmaaaaaahhhhh gaaaaaahhhhhhh

My mum made this last week and catphish and i had the rare priveldge of having some leftovers on the w.e.- holy sheepshit was it ever good

can't remember the entire recipe offhand but it invloved (makes enough for about 10 servings):

4 leeks

2 cups chicken broth

2 cups white wine

1L whipping cream (!)

a lot of stilton (like $14 worth)

a few spices

and probably a few other things

...anyway i'll get the recipe and post it here. In the meantime has anyone else ever made such a soup?!?! Had it @ Chez Piggy's in Kingston?

I've got the drools just thinking about it right now

• 2 weeks later...

I also think that soup is LOVELY!

Tried to make one a while back and here's what I came up with. Pretty close. The problem with cook books and recipes in general is, it doesn't matter if two people follow the same recipe to a "T" they never taste the same. I wouldn't sweat the book therefore.

8 cups veg stock

1.5 riesling

1 spanish onion, chopped

1 stalk celery, chopped (for Brad M)

6 cloves garlic, minced

6 leeks, sliced, washed, soaked and washed again

1 tsp thyme fresh

1 tsp marjoram fresh, or oregano (dried. oregano is the only spice EVER that is better dried than fresh)

3 tbsp butter

3 tbsp flour

4 cups cream or 3 cups Newfie (carnation canned) milk

3/4 lbs emmental or good stilton cheese

Bring stock and wine to a boil. Reduce the heat and add onion, carrot and celery after sauteeing. Get the pans brown bits too. Add garlic. Melt butter in microwave and add flour mix together well and set aside. Add thyme and marjoram to pot and turn off heat to step. (you don't want to cook fresh herbs too long on high heat. The flavour will be lost)

Add beurre manie (butter and flour......just as a roux but after the fact instead of before) mixture to separate stock pot on medium heat. Stir in cream and add cheese SLOWLY, sirring constantly until thickened. Ladel soup into cheese mix a bit at a time stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Oh and since this soup has quote un-qoute "fine" flavours and ingredients in it (i.e. blue cheese).....puree the fucker, and I mean PUREED! (strain through cheesecloth if you have to). It'll make for a way way way way better finish. That being said, when you have dinner guest coming......strain everything! Just my opinion.

*IF, you haven't added cheese to a soup before, and are not confident, try adding a little cornstarch/water mix as a stablizer.

ENJOY!

Oh and since this soup has quote un-qoute "fine" flavours and ingredients in it (i.e. blue cheese).....puree the fuÇker, and I mean PUREED! (strain through cheesecloth if you have to). It'll make for a way way way way better finish. That being said, when you have dinner guest coming......strain everything! Just my opinion.

You are so right. It's amazing what a difference a fine mesh strainer makes. I am thinking a strained sloppy joe could pass as boeuf bourguignon if done right.