Jambands.ca

Rules on Playing On the Street?

Jordan Patrick

I was wondering, because it's been an interest of mine, what the rules were on street performing downtown Ottawa.

I see bums do it all the time, and the last thing I'd want to do is trek on their territory. I'd like to set up an amp outside too, but I doubt I'd find an outdoor outlet in alot of places (anyone know some good spots?)

I've also seen the market have some life performers with electronic or acoustic instruments, usually on a nice Sunday.

Again, is this something you set up with the city? Or is it a first come first serve sorta deal based on a common rule?

Again, if anyone knows some good spots, all I think I'm going to do is with or without an amp, acoustic guitar. And maybe the occasional bagpipes XD

yeah you need a busking permit in the byward market...and markets management are assholes fyi..best to stay on their good side...if they have one. They reside in the center market building upstairs.

Though not sure about other locations...I find it hard to believe dude outside the beerstore has a permit.

Edited by Guest

Don't want to move in on bums' territory?

Maybe it's because I live in Downtown Vancouver, but I find it seriously strange that anybody would care to give a fuck about a 'bum's' busking territory. There's ONE streety that plays guitar and sings beautiful CSNY, Cat Stevens, and James Taylor songs and makes everybody smile as they go by. He's the ONLY street musician I've seen that I would ever care to help out in Vancouver.

Street people and bums are not always synonomous but does it really matter? You're making music on the street for people.

If you're not accepting money for your music you are not busking.

I would suggest playing in parks if you can. On sunny days people like to barbecue and if you entertain them they are more likely to give you a freshly fgrilled hamburger than if they were walking around in Sparks Street Mall all day. Unless you find a cool acousical environment or are actually trying to make money I just don't see the draw to playing on concrete. Tourists like parks too.

Awesome points guys, I think I'll have fun yelling "Punch Buggy" and the such in the middle of a Foo or Mayer tune.

Either way, I just like playing people music. If there's people to hear it, it's worth my time. If theres a burger in it for me (maybe), I'll make sure I ask the cook for any requests.

I've always just wanted to throw away inhibitions and just play music. Gigs are always fun, but there's something carefree about doing public music just for the hell of it.

I'd love to play in some of the parks in BC; vancouver and victoria has got a bunch of them, full of tourists. Any recommendations in Ottawa? I was thinking Britania beach, Andrew Hayden; I'd like to have a output for the amp though, as it does not have a battery.