Jambands.ca

Glebe restaurant recommendations?

bradm

I want to take myself out for a birthday dinner some time this week, and was thinking about the Glebe. I could go to The Arrow and Loon, but I haven't been there for a few years, and I've heard it's changed owners and dropped a bit in quality; it's also a pub, albeit one with a fairly decent menu.

So, should I consider any other places? Bistro-type places, like The Black Tomato, are sort of my thing, so that kind of place would be best; a good wine and beer selection would help. I'd also want to be there early, like 5pm or so, so the place would have to be operational in the early evening. Specific ethnic cuisines are cool, but it would have to be the kind of menu that one person can order off of and get a decent selection without having to take home a bunch of doggie bags.

Aloha,

Brad

i don't know the operating hours for all these...

i like infusion bistro...though i always order burgers so i'm not too sure about the rest of the menu!

the arrow in loon wasn't so good for awhile there but lately i've been finding all the food good. plus the beer is so yummy.

light of india has 'dinner for 2' which is good if you're not going alone.

von's was good but i've only eaten there once.

there is an italian restaurant right around glebe street called la strada i think? anyway it's very old-person-feeling-ish....like old fashioned decor and whatnot but i've had great food there. since you're an old man now, sounds perfect for ya ;)

i would like to try the urban pear sometime as well. it's expensive.

Yeah, I looked at the menu after posting that link and noticed the mains were all about $10 more than I would like to pay in a restaurant. At those prices the food had better be really, really good.

i really liked the urban pear when i went there shortly after it opened. i am friends with the chef / owner's sister and i got a friend discount so i'm sure my opinion would be a bit hardened if i had paid full price.

infusion is good as phorbesie said, as is von's. there's a fish restaurant upstairs from von's; never been there. also, not sure if the 4th Avenue Wine Bar serves food, but if they did I bet it is delicious. great little place. You could always try the cheeseball Ritz Restaurant on the canal at 5th. I wouldn't if I were you.

Olga's near the queensway is great for sandwiches.... there's an indian place there too, and The Works and the Clocktower... There's Fratelli at bank and 1st beside the Royal Bank.. hmmm

My favourite - Tall boys from the beer store, Kettleman's Super House Special, and a bench on the canal. Under $10 too!! :)

• 2 weeks later...

just had dinner at von's and it was so good!

moules et frites and seared ahi nicoise salad.

yummmmmmmmm. nice sized plates (i've never gotten so many mussels, we shared)

service was also fantastic.

btw, my mom told me she went to the urban pear last week with her ladies group. get this: they arranged for this luncheon for all the ladies. so it was $25 flat rate, for which you got a sandwich, small salad and small dessert. that's expensive. anyway she said the food was good. BUT! they had also arranged some sort of deal on the wine so they could each have a glass of wine for $6 instead of whatever it usually is. btw $6 seems normal for a glass to me anyway. but when it came time to serve the wine, the waitress brought it over and USING A SHOTGLASS, precisely measured a few shots (i'm not sure how many, 2 she thinks) into each glass. my mom said that the glass was only 1/4 full of wine. when they asked what was up with that, the waitress said, well since you're getting a special price on the wine, we're only giving you this smaller amount. WTF??! also, then my mother asked for white wine. she then got charged 9.50 for her glass of wine. oh sorry lady but only the red wine was $6 (but we didn't tell you that before).

this is about the most anal retentive and cheap maneuver i can think of! esp after charging you 25 for a sandwich. pouring a dozen people's glasses of wine using a shotglass to make sure they only get a 1/4 of a glass? fuck that shit. i'm definitley never going to that place.

anyway....hehehe

where'd you end up going bradm?

Edited by Guest

just had dinner at von's and it was so good!

moules et frites and seared ahi nicoise salad.

yummmmmmmmm.

btw, my mom told me she went to the urban pear last week with her ladies group. get this: they arranged for this luncheon for all the ladies. so it was $25 flat rate, for which you got a sandwich, small salad and small dessert. that's expensive. anyway she said the food was good. BUT! they had also arranged some sort of deal on the wine so they could each have a glass of wine for $6 instead of whatever it usually is. btw $6 seems normal for a glass to me anyway. but when it came time to serve the wine, the waitress brought it over and USING A SHOTGLASS, precisely measured a few shots (i can't remember how many) into each glass. my mom said that the glass was only 1/4 full of wine. when they asked what was up with that, the waitress said, well since you're getting a special price on the wine, we're only giving you this smaller amount. WTF??! also, then my mother asked for white wine. she then got charged 9.50 for her glass of wine. oh sorry but only the red wine was $6.

this is about the most anal retentive and cheap maneuver i can think of! esp after charging you 25 for a sandwich. pouring a dozen people's glasses of wine using a shotglass to make sure they only get a 1/4 of a glass? fuck that shit. i'm definitley never going to that place.

After hearing that, I doubt I'll ever go there, either.

anyway....hehehe

where'd you end up going bradm?

I haven't gone yet, actually. I had computer trouble on the weekend (Friday/Saturday), so that made those nights unworkable for going, and Sunday was JSB, so that wouldn't have worked (for me, anyway), and I want to do it up right, so would prefer a weekend, but I'm going to Toronto this weekend...

I'll get out eventually. With any luck, before my next birthday...

Aloha,

Brad

• 4 weeks later...

i went to flipper's last night, i thought it was pretty good.

scallops were awesome. i never eat scallops anymore cuz it's so rare to have them done right, but these ones melted in your mouth.

i had mahi mahi with a ginger sauce. the ginger was a bit strange at first, but it grew on me.

they had this amazing chutney too.

the decor is great!

• 3 months later...