Jambands.ca

Modest Mouse Tomorrow

Jakis

Wow, was that ever not good at all. Got really good seats, back row of the front Orchestra Pit; eye level with the band. They butchered most of the tunes and attempted to make up for it by being obnoxiously loud. Not much creativity under the gun. The sound was poorly mixed in favor of the drums and bass. And, to top it off, they were mildly pulling it together by the end, but they only happened to play for about an hour and five minutes or so.

Shame, I had high expectations going in. They make great albums though...

Here is the setlist from modmouse.com

Setlist:

--------------

Paper Thin Walls

Ocean Breathes Salty

Dashboard

Fire It Up

Bukowski

Missed The Boat

Float On

Education

Trailer Trash (Extended)

Tiny Cities Made Of Ashes

Doin' The Cockroach

The View

--------------

Encore:

Bury Me With It

Breakthrough (Extended)

I thought it was alright. I didn't dislike it but it was a bit underwhelming. It was over by 10:00 and we were back in Guelph shortly after 11.

We were dead centre but further back in Row P. I thought the sound was great from there. I could hear everyone. It was loud but not blistering by any means.

Johnny Marr was really getting into it near the end, as was everyone in the band. I was hoping for a second encore and was pretty shocked when the lights went up so quick.

I only have the new album and they didn't play a lot of my favourite songs off of it. Florida or Fly trapped in a Jar for example. I was definitely expecting to hear these two.

Not sure if I would go see them again although if I'd heard the older material before the concert it might have made the show a lot better.

I really liked that the drums and bass were turned super high, I think they were the only ones on stage playing really well. The other guys kinda sucked. But that rhythm section was tight! I think they should change their front man, he's tool. And those seats did kick ass.

I really liked that the drums and bass were turned super high, I think they were the only ones on stage playing really well. The other guys kinda sucked. But that rhythm section was tight! I think they should change their front man, he's tool. And those seats did kick ass.

Funny - Eric (their bass player) is sick and the bass duties were handled by the bass player NYC's Love As Laughter.

You realise if MM change their frontman then the band will cease to exist? Modest Mouse is whatever Isaac Brock says it is.

I will give y'all a review of the Montreal show when i get back from it.

Johnny Marr was really getting into it near the end.

worth the price of admission just to see him. he's Johnny F'ing Marr!!

i really enjoyed the show, but I agree, it was a bit underwhelming and short. (having seen morrissey so many times, ive come to expect underwhelming one-hour long shows.) the sound was decent enough, maybe a bit too durgy, but not a disaster like vancouver. they played well, i thot. i actually really like the singer's voice, but just kept hoping Marr would break into how soon is now

there was an opener - love like laughter - or something like that. from brooklyn, he said.

overall, im glad i went, but won't count it in my top 100. let's hope that the upcoming lcd soundsystem and ! ! ! shows are a bit better.

I think they should change their front man, he's tool.

you mean, isaac brock? that'd be like the rest of "wilco" getting rid of jeff tweedy.

jazzyjeff - i think out of the older stuff, lonesome crowded west is probably the album most similar to the newer one - but you should definitely get your hands on the moon and antarctica and building nothing out of something. real beauties.

a lot of these recent comments/reviews read a lot like recent shows i've heard sound - from the last couple years, i mean - which isnt so dissimilar from how i found them to be back in 2000... its too bad, because their albums are so full and lush with sound, but they dont seem to be able to play it out live.

double scoop on you two! ha!

another tidbit from that message board - Eric is too sick to continue on the tour, so he is heading home. Tour continues though. I'm guessing the bassist from Man Man will be taking over for him?

There was a bassist last night that only spent half the show on stage while the keyboardist/other bassist was otherwise occupied. I thought he was out of tune/key or something and didn't know the material. Found it kind of odd.

It was great to see them, I just don't think they played very well. Anyways, mainly, I just can't get my head around the fact that I payed so much and they played so little....

There was a bassist last night that only spent half the show on stage while the keyboardist/other bassist was otherwise occupied. I thought he was out of tune/key or something and didn't know the material. Found it kind of odd.

It was great to see them, I just don't think they played very well. Anyways, mainly, I just can't get my head around the fact that I payed so much and they played so little....

ok. bass player sick = substitute bass player not knowing songs as well as original bass player. also : band missing important member (sick bass player) = short show

... its too bad' date=' because their albums are so full and lush with sound, but they dont seem to be able to play it out live.[/quote']

My sentiments exactly. Thank you....

its interesting to me reading these comments, because when i saw them i remember my friends i was with having a lot of the same complaints about their show vs. their albums and what they expected... thinking back to it, it was definitely more of a thrash-fest, but i wasnt a very good listener in those days and likely didnt care so much. brock broke his jaw screaming through his pick-ups - that was good enough for me.

i still havent heard a good live recording, either. those experiences kept me from buying a ticket... which sucks, cuz i love that band, but i dont really trust their live show.

I still think Johnny Marr is a tool. He seems like a total prima donna and isn't part of a band so much as the guy in front of one. I just think that's so lame.

Johnny Marr is the lead guitar player, Isaac Brock is the other guitarist / singer. Do you think they're both tools or do we have differing ideas on what a frontman is?

I still think Johnny Marr is a tool. He seems like a total prima donna and isn't part of a band so much as the guy in front of one. I just think that's so lame.

were you even at the show? marr was not a tool in any way.

he also signed autographs after the show - hardly a prima donna.

edit ... oh yeah, have you ever heard of a band called the Rolling Stones?

Edited by Guest

The guy who sings, sorry, I don't know the guy's name as I'm pretty new to Modest Mouse and I've never really been one for details.

I just think that the band dynamics would be better with a cooler guy as a singer.

And of course I've heard of the Stones, why do you ask?