Jambands.ca

suoni per il popolo fest - montreal

phorbesie

damn how did i not hear about this until now?!!!

that first full week looks sick. i'd like to go to mark ribot and william parker/hamid drake duo shows.

anybody wanna go to montreal on monday? please?

:)

http://casadelpopolo.pastlifeaggression.com/suoni/spectacles.php

ps. also may be interested in the last day (27th) if anyone is into it , which could segue into some jazzfest shows. :D

it was a good night. kinda sleepytime though :)

i hadn't seen him solo before. it was just him and an acoustic and an electric. sala rossa was a nice feel for this show. we were late so i was all anxious to miss some of the show but since the man himself was walking up the stairs next to me on the way in, all was well. 2 sets, mostly acoustic. he played the electric just once in each set, and once during the encore.

the first couple songs were odd in that way of his. a lot of thwack and squeak going on, interspersed with weird sounding strums. (it was like me trying guitar or something ;) but anyway, those first couple songs went back and forth during them of thwack for a few minutes, and then really cool mediterranean-type music. then he pulled out the electric and played this really dark version of 'o bury me not' (with vocals) which was awesome and was the highlight of the set. back to the acoustic and some nice tunes. the music was very lulling...i kept drifting off into daydream and had to come back. it was still a mediterranean feel, like france to greece to portugal to spain and i felt like i could be sitting on a cobbled street bar by the water in torremolinos. very nice.

second set was all around better, though very sleepy too. just lots of nice acoustic lullaby-like songs with cool picking and other stuff i can't really describe! then he played a few songs he wrote for a movie and i really enjoyed those. imagine an italian love song or for late night with a bottle of wine. i was hoping for the electric again but when he pulled it out, it was a really long song that nearly put me to sleep. this show would have been sooo perfect if he'd been playing it at the foot of my bed. then the last song and the encore were great.

so...it was a good show but like i said, sleepy time. no face melting, but very beautiful stuff. i think for a concert i prefer him with a backing band though :)

damn montreal has yummy beer :)

is anyone from ottawa going to montreal on weds?

Damn heather, I was totally going to be at that show (with my buddy Mark), but we couldn't pull it together.

I'll be at the Akron/Family+Hamid Drake show on the 8th if you're up for it.

For those that don't know the Fest, Suoni has been goign on for about the last 5 or 6 years, adn is organized by Mauro and Kiva, the curators/managers of the Casa del Popolo/Sala Rossa cultural empire. It's basically their month-long summer treat for themselves. They book bands they like, and invite cool labels to curate shows.

Saturday the 16th is "Suoni in the Park" day, which is a free, super-fun outdoor family event for improv, freaky but kid-friendly stuff, and artist-community collaborations.

All in all, a great festival to support.

Edited by Guest

i've only seen him play with MMW, and once with Los Amigos Invisibles (or something like that) but he always was incredible cool to me. I think that's the best word I know to describe how he plays.

jesus. So long ago I don't recall where we went, but good squid is to be found at Janos (possibly where we went) and Chez Doval, both portuguese joints on the plateau.

The bouchard families went to Chez Doval a couple of weeks ago on my recommendation and apparently quite liked it.

Definitely one of the best festivals going. Always some amazing stuff....so much to see, so little time.

If you're into monster drummers, Bindu with Hamid Drake and 4 saxophonists will be smokin'.

Another one I'll be catching is Scorch Trio ( think Cream meets Jimi ). Paal Nilsson-Love is a phenominal drummer, a little unconventional in his set-up, but Gawd can he work those skins!!

Definitely one of the best festivals going. Always some amazing stuff....so much to see, so little time.

If you're into monster drummers, Bindu with Hamid Drake and 4 saxophonists will be smokin'.

Another one I'll be catching is Scorch Trio ( think Cream meets Jimi ). Paal Nilsson-Love is a phenominal drummer, a little unconventional in his set-up, but Gawd can he work those skins!!

Totally agreed on Scorch. If I was going to be in Canada when they play I'd totally be hitting that up.