Jambands.ca

The Soundtrack of Our Lives - Toronto shows

bONES

We ended up at this show on saturday. Crowd was a decent size but you could easily get around and find a good spot to watch the show. I'd guess it was about 2/3 to 3/4 capacity, maybe more.

We had wanted to get into the horseshoe to see their NXNE lineup (United Steelworkers of Montreal, Ohbijou, Sebastian Grainger, You Say Party We Say Die, Inflight Safety) but there was a big lineup by 9:30 and we decided not to wait around.

Wandered around a bit before heading down to Healey's and Last days of April were playing. You could hear them outside and also see the band through the patio door. They sounded OK but we still hadn't decided if we were going to go in. It was so nice outside that we considered hanging out on the street and just listening to the show.

While waiting outside we saw Ron Sexsmith go into the show. I'm a huge Ron fan so I had to mention this. We saw Dave Foley there as well.

We finally decided to go in during the last song of the opener and didn't have to wait too long before TSOOL came on. I do not know this band at all. I remember hearing good things about them a couple of years ago when they opened for the Robert Plant tour but had not checked them out.

I liked the show but it wasn't until about the fourth song before I really got into it. The guitar player just started ripping it up and that completely energized me. They put on a very entertaining show. I kept thinking the singer looked like he was from Lord of the Rings or something with his Monk like robe and scarves.

We stayed for the entire show and were treated to two 2 song encores. No idea what they played but it was a fun show.

Afterwards we listened to the In-flight Safety set live from the Horseshoe on CBC 3 on Sirius on our ride home. I had forgotten they were broadcasting the entire horseshoe show that night.

Next year I am definitely getting a pass for NXNE.

TSOOL has a myspace page and it seems like some of the members have side projects.

www.myspace.com/officialtsool

Edited by Guest

I am really glad that some of you people could see this band and I only wish I could have joined you.

NXNE closes on high note

The bar-hopping bonanza is over for yet another year.

The North By Northeast Music and Film Festival (NXNE) wrapped up in the wee hours of Sunday morning, but not before a horde of bands brought everything at their disposal (including cowbells) to win over the crowds.

Perhaps the band which made the best impression was Swedish group The Soundtrack Of Our Lives. The psychedelic-leaning rock outfit, which played three straight nights at NXNE, was spot on from the onset. Thursday's performance at Jeff Healey's Roadhouse was great from beginning to end, with tunic-wearing lead singer Ebbot Lundberg tearing through songs such as the Doors-ish The Flood, Sick Of You, Infra Riot and Sister Surround and literally leaving the stage with a blond over his shoulder.

"We have to play certain songs because people don't play them anymore," Lundberg said early on. While the venue wasn't exactly as full as it was Saturday evening, the band made the most of it, with Lundberg venturing out into the crowd during the foot-stomping Confrontation Camp and doing a duck walk a la Chuck Berry. Meanwhile guitarist Ian Person threw in the occasional high kick when not churning out heavy riffs during Broken Imaginary and Keep the Line Movin'.

Another big name in town for the event and part of the NXNExtra series of concerts was the reunited Dinosaur Jr. The band's brutally but customarily loud 80-minute set Friday evening at the Phoenix Concert Theatre mixed material from the new studio album Beyond alongside some oldies but goodies, including Freak Scene and Wagon, featuring Broken Social Scene's Kevin Drew on lead vocals.

Guitarist J. Mascis split the evening between simply swaying at the microphone stand or delivering fine guitar solos during the opener Almost Ready and Budge, the latter from the 1988 album Bug. His blistering performances were a far cry from him strumming an acoustic guitar during a celebrity interview Friday afternoon and doing a Bob Dylan cover. Other highlights included Little Fury Things, Sludgefest and Back to Your Heartn sung by bassist Lou Barlow.

Although they were two of the larger acts in town, fans had plenty of choices over the festival with myriad genres represented. On Thursday evening at the Rivoli, Simon Wilcox got things off to a great start with radio-friendly nuggets from her new album The Charm and the Strange. Despite playing less than the full 40 minutes allotted her, Wilcox shone on Disaster Strikes, and Eyes on You, which she performed in French and English.

Toronto band Uncut had the good fortune of opening for both The Soundtrack Of Our Lives and Dinosaur Jr. on Thursday and Friday, respectively. The quartet didn't disappoint despite basically playing the same set each night, concentrating on material from their latest album Modern Currencies.

On Saturday at the El Mocambo, Brown Brigade tore through material from its upcoming album. Led by former Sum 41 guitarist Dave Baksh, the metal-centric quintet was extremely tight as songs seemed to compare favorably with tunes from Metallica and Iron Maiden.

Also on Saturday evening at the Sauna, er, The Horseshoe, Brantford band Ohbijou added to its growing legion of fans with smart, lush, orchestral pop jewels. Rock Plaza Central seemed to be some Appalachian version of The Arcade Fire Friday evening at Lee's Palace. And Barcelona dance-techno act The Pinker Tones energized the crowd Saturday afternoon at Nathan Phillips Square with a fun, vibrant collection of tracks.