Jambands.ca

Blue Note at Bonnaroo

hamilton

Blue Note Records and Bonnaroo are proud to announce that they will team to present Somethin' Else, a dedicated Jazz club curated by Blue Note Records at the 2007 Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival. The sixth annual four-day camping and music festival will be held on June 14-17, 2007, on the same 700-acre farm in Manchester, Tennessee, 60 miles south of Nashville.

The first event of its kind, Somethin' Else aims to create an authentic Jazz club atmosphere in the middle of the largest outdoor rock festival in the United States, and to introduce the Bonnaroo audience to Jazz through live performances by legendary and up-and-coming artists, panel discussions about Jazz History, and exhibits of classic Blue Note Records photography and album artwork.

The legendary jazz label along with festival organizers selected an outstanding line-up from the Blue Note Records artist roster and beyond. Performers will include legendary artists such as saxophonist Lou Donaldson and Hammond B3 organist Dr. Lonnie Smith, established artists such as pianist Jacky Terrasson, vibraphonist Stefon Harris, clarinetist Don Byron, and saxophonist Ravi Coltrane, up-and-comers such as pianist Robert Glasper and guitarist Lionel Loueke, and crossover artists such as the Scott Amendola Band featuring Nels Cline, Stanton Moore, Mago featuring Billy Martin and John Medeski, and The Philadelphia Experiment featuring Ahmir Thompson, Christian McBride, Uri Caine.

DownBeat magazine will also present afternoon panel discussions on the Somethin' Else stage in between music sets on June 15 and 16, with various prominent musicians from the Jazz world and beyond discussing the music and its legendary figures, including Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Thelonious Monk, and John Coltrane.

SOMETHIN' ELSE 2007 LINE-UP:

SCOTT AMENDOLA BAND feat. NELS CLINE

DON BYRON PLAYS JUNIOR WALKER feat. CHRIS THOMAS KING

RAVI COLTRANE QUARTET

LOU DONALDSON & DR. LONNIE SMITH QUARTET

ROBERT GLASPER TRIO

STEFON HARRIS & BLACKOUT

LIONEL LOUEKE

MAGO feat. BILLY MARTIN & JOHN MEDESKI

STANTON MOORE TRIO

DAVID MURRAY QUARTET

THE PHILADELPHIA EXPERIMENT feat. AHMIR THOMPSON, CHRISTIAN McBRIDE, URI CAINE

JACKY TERRASSON TRIO

DOUG WAMBLE TRIO

Visit www.bluenote.com/bonnaroo for set times and more!

nice. I don't think Bluenote releases jazz anymore, so this is a welcome treat. I hardly call "The Bird and the Bee" and a jazz album. It's good though.

Since all of the above artists are jazz artists and all or most of them are signed to Blue Note, I can honestly say that I don't have any idea what you are talking about. I think a more accurate statement would be that Blue Note is no longer *only* a jazz label.

The Bird and The Bee however, is indeed a good album, and no it isn't really jazz.

this could quite possibly be the best thing bonnaroo has added to this years fest

WOW LOU DONALDSON!!!!!! NO WAY!! That guy is the kind of a legend and in his 80's.

If I had know this Blue Note tent was happening, it would have seriously pushed me to go...

shame......goood addtion thought, what a bonus a real Jazz contingent!