Jambands.ca

Dead Ahead was on PBS last night

djmelbatoast

I watched most of it and was torn.

As much as I enjoyed the show and was grateful that it was on, I hate PBS. They pretty much had an even split of music to pledge pitches. The acoustic set though was awesome, Heaven Help The Fool, To Lay Me Down, etc. Plus some good electric stuff: Don't Ease Me In, Saint of Circumstance, Ramble on Rose, etc.

Anyone else see it?

I like pretty much any other Dead film above Dead Ahead... its fine and all but never really struck me as much more than a promo shoot

Really? Other than the Grateful Dead Movie, the only straight up concert footage I've seen are the View from the Vault series. And I think those are horrible. The band doesn't seem into it, Jerry forgeting words, Bobby in his short-shorts and Madonna t-shirt, god aweful in camera video effects that make it impossible to even make out the band. The selection Dead Ahead is more of a greatest hits concert, but the band is much more into it, Jerry smiles alot more and did I mention the acoustic set?

then again I love PBS (but not during their pledge drives... shudder)

When are they not having a pledge drive? They were actually bragging about the fact that they cut 50 minutes from the movie to yammer away at me.

sorry bro... was confused for a sec (no air conditioning, humid)

Dead Ahead is epic (see correction above)... second only in my books to The Grateful Dead Movie (if you haven't seen it, see it... catches a bit of the craziness that surrounded the band early on (and throughout)... along with the crazy energy of the band in the early 70s... and the "chicklets" guy =)

Edited by Guest
chicklets.