Jambands.ca

The Big Time Out in Cumberland

djmelbatoast

There is a three day festival in Cumberland going directly up against Bonfire Festival August 17-19.

Micheal Franti & Spearhead

Sly & Robbie

Horace Andy & Taxi

Cherine Anderson

Sarah Harmer

Corb Lund

I think this lineup pales in comparison to Bonfire. It's pretty much the same price and IMHO, there is alot less to see here.

I went and saw the one day fest with Franti a couple of years ago and it was fun, but a three day festival? Unless they moved the grounds I don't see how this is possible. Last time it was in the baseball fields in the middle of town. Also, I'm about done with Micheal Franti. I'd been getting tired of him for a while, but his new sell-out ads for Virgin Wireless tipped the scales. Sarah Harmer and Corb Lund are pretty good though.

Trade RAQ for Sly & Robbie?

Trade Garaj for Sarah Harmer & Corb Lund?

Ummm... sorry Beats, but this General Manager is going to have to reject those trade offers and have a good hearty chuckle to himself.

I'll pass on those artists for shredding jams any day of the week & twice on Tuesdays.

RAQ, Garaj, Flowmotion, Slammin, Themasses et al are all the kinds of music that help give Bonfire it's unique environment. As you well know, it's not just a show... it's a CARNIVAL!!!

As good as those acts are, they don't scream PARTY in my humble opinion.

I think we'll stick with what's been working for us... we haven't had any complaints yet.

I'd take Bonfire over The Cumberland fest in a second even if I wasn't in two of the bands in Bonfire. This decision is based on line up and environment (Dodge City rules but Bonfire is something completely different). In a one off competition though, I'd be watching Sly & Robbie over Raq or Garage. Don't know much Sarah Harmer and not too interested. I've never seen Corb Lund nor do I own an album, but I'll tell ya, I'd sooner see them finding their way into my disc player than Raq or Garage!

Everyone can have an opinion right?

Edited by Guest

Of course everyone can have an opinion. You know I'm a huge fan of the raging funky jams, hence my leaning so strongly one way.

Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with my being one of the Bonfire presenters, it's simply just a reflection of my personal tastes.

Weighed out pound for pound it's like the difference between fillet mignion and chicken cordon bleu.

Both are awesome, but when i'm at home listening there's only so much raging funky jam i can take while when I'm there I'm glad to have the best time.

I also do like genuine real deal reggae...

I wouldn't trade those in the fest keither, but as far as what perks my ears up when I'm at home in front of my itunes is what I'm going to remark about when i'm on a messageboard.

looking forward to seeing raq and being present for garaj.

Well, Noises from the Toolshed are going to Cumberland, playing on the Saturday, and are thrilled to be there.

This is a Cumberland thread...no point in comparing festivals, especially not in this thread.

I'm personally stoked to see the above mentioned acts, and the ones not mentioned: Xavier Rudd (not yet announced), Mother Mother, Five Alarm Funk, and way more. Cumberland is beautiful, and the surrounding area is peaceful and full of lakes, etc.

Killer lineup. I can't believe all these acts are making it to the island,let alone cumberland.

Both festivals will be good times and good tunes. El Toolshed will be in Cumberland because we're islanders, we're stoked on it and because we're playing.

An all around good weekend on the island the the sunshine coast.

Stephen

Congrats Stephen... on both your lining up a performance at TBDO and for receiving the first Golden Hughie awarded on jambands.ca for letting the Xavier cat out of the bag! ;)

Don't forget the Salmon Arm Roots & Blues Fest, which is obviously sharing a lot of artists with the Cumberland event that weekend.

You guys will be missed at the BMF this year, but the ferry expenses you'll be saving will not be missed in your pocketbooks, will it? ;)

Man oh man... the live music scene in BC is really taking off right now, isn't it?