Jambands.ca

Fernandez to Bruins

hamilton

From TSN:

Report: Bruins acquire Manny Fernandez

It looks as though the Boston Bruins have acquired a new goaltender.

According to the Pioneer Press, the Minnesota Wild have traded Manny Fernandez to the Bruins for forward Petr Kalus and a future fourth-round draft pick.

Fernandez was 22-16-1 last season with the 2.55 goals against average and a .911 save percentage. Fernandez missed the final ten games of the regular season and Minnesota's first-round series with the Anaheim Ducks with a knee injury.

Kalus had 13 goals and 17 assists in 43 games with the Providence Bruins of the American Hockey League last season.

So Minnesota let Fernandez go for that little? Why the didn't the Leafs look at this guy? I'm not saying that the trade for Toscala was necessarily horrible, but it look to me like they could have gotten a quality goalie at a lower price.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Toscala is a better choice for the money, the record, the shutouts, and the potential. Toscala started only 37 games and had a better record than fernandez (without the injuries of course) and comes at a more reasonable rate. He's only 30, and with more games I think will be a superb choice