Jambands.ca

Passport Questions for Ireland

Jaimoe

I heading to the Emerald Isle on the 29th. I've been assured by several friends and my cousin that I won't need to get my passport renewed - it expires in January 08. However, customs (on the Ireland website) and Canadian Customs says that travelers need to have valid passports with 6 months remaining to their expiry date.

Questions: Should I be concerned about being hasseled or not allowed to travel? Should I get a rush on a new passport or go regardless? I'd like anyone to answer these questions that have been to the UK or Ireland recently.

I got this from the Dept. of foriegn Affairs Travel page...this is what it says about Ireland, I hope it helps:

A valid Canadian passport is required for Canadians intending to visit Ireland. It is recommended that the passport be valid for at least six months beyond the departure date from Ireland.

Canadians entering Ireland from the United Kingdom also require a valid Canadian passport. Numerous Canadians are refused entry into Ireland every year due to the lack of a passport. Return or onward tickets are required.

Edited by Guest