Jambands.ca

Excellent comic strip

Kanada Kev

Yup, I bought a first edition Jerry Garcia tie at that Marshall Field's back when they first came out and we were catching some shows at the Gahden.

I think it makes a great point, and the message simply being why the fuck do people get up in arms about something as trivial as a store name versus some serious issues that are more valid to humanity to protest.

Same thing could have been done showing voter numbers for elections in the US and American Idol.

It's a 4-panel strip ... what more could you cram in?

In downtown Nanaimo (the red zone) there are private security personal patroling the sidewalks and making people who seem unsavory move along. Granted there are a lot of crackheads downtown but these kind of measures seem very wrong to me. If people are commiting crimes why don't the police handle it? If it isn't important enough for the police then why are government funds going to pay private contractors to make sure that business owners don't have the wrong type of people in their neighborhoods?

I think it makes a great point, and the message simply being why the fuck do people get up in arms about something as trivial as a store name versus some serious issues that are more valid to humanity to protest.

Same thing could have been done showing voter numbers for elections in the US and American Idol.

There are many reasons that go into a person's decision to protest. To conclude that these protesters think saving Marshall's is more important than, say, pulling out of the war in Iraq is too simplistic because it glosses over the many other reasons that factor into a decision to protest.

Similarly the analogy to American Idol is ludicrous. Sure it has "voting" in common with an election but that's about it. Even that isn't the same thing since one person can, legally, cast more than one vote on American Idol.

It's a lazy trick used by people who want to take a shot at pop culture. It makes you smile inside if you agree with the message but that's about it. So enjoy your smug self-satisfaction. ;)